Texas jeep

Hello.... New member here

Hi everyone ,

Event though I'm a new member, I've been an ethanol fanatic for at least 5 years. Once I read Alcohol Can be A Gas by David Blume, I was hooked. Ive used ethanol in my jeep off and on, however after watching a documentary about the gulf oil spill and it's effects on people and the environment, I'll never again go back to full gasoline in my jeep. I'm currently running an estimated E50 mix with out a conversion kit and estimated 11% loss in mpg. Not bad.

I researched ways to boost the compression ratio on my engine to take advantage of the higher octane but aside from spending $5000 on a stroked jeep engine or a supercharger, I was pretty much out of luck.

Also, with the exception of the new Mazdas with the high compression ratio Sky Active engines, the new cars coming out don't have ethanol optimized engines even though they can run e85.

I've searched the internet for ethanol optimized engines in the vehicle world and I really couldn't find anything out there that would that would take full advantage of the high octane rating.

Is there such a car?

Hello Texas ..welcome aboard

Nothing Yet ..no ethanol optimized engines on the marketplace 

I am looking at the Jeep Wranglers.. cant decide to get an older model with the 3.8 or the new Penastar 3.6 which IO know is already E85 ready .. not that I'd have any qualms about running E85 in the 3.8 with a kit or larger injectors. MPG is horse do do on the Wranglers either way so not worried about losing another 1-2mpg

Which Jeep do you have .. ?  Yeah no point in spending 5k on the Jeep  just to take advantage of E85 octane rating .. (Unless of course you plan on building a Powerhouse Monster Jeep)

Hey Texas Jeep, welcome aboard. You're in good company here; we're all big ethanol fans. I've done a lot of ethanol advocacy work myself.

I agree with the sentiment completely... if it was practical for me to run pure ethanol in my car, if be first in line to do it. But, because of availability and cost constraints, I use E85. I want absolutely nothing to do with gasoline.

Feel free to PM me with questions, or if you would just like to chat or introduce yourself. Also, I am considering selling my Chrysler Sebring this year if I'm able to buy one of the new Chrysler 200 cars, if you're considering having a full out FFV.

Welcome aboard Texas Jeep, another Jeep owner here too, got a '98 XJ Cherokee with the 4.0l myself as well as a '12 200 Touring that has the Pentastar V-6 under the hood! I'd have no problem dropping the $5k tonbuild a boosted and/or stroked 4.0l for my XJ that can be run on E85 if I could afford it Dan, I thinkmit would be a fun project and a real shock to anybody who saw it take off from a dead stop

Hello Texas Jeep,

Welcome to the forum.  Quite a few members are doing blending , as well.

I have an '05 Liberty with the 3.7L V6..  I do regular blending on this engine,

but can't get beyond about e30 before it starts throwin' codes. I will be going for

bigger injectors soon. 

The Chevy Cruze would have been my choice for next FFV.  It had a nice

engine / turbo combination & a 6 speed manual, to boot.  I'm not much of a Chevy man, tho.

And I don't believe this model of Cruze made the cut to be FFV..

I see you have quite a number of E85 stations in Texas now, and the E85 prices are

starting to come down..       Good time to get in on the E85 experience.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I got a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 Liter in line six with 307,000 miles on the original engine. I might get it to 400,000 miles. At that time I'll install a remanufactured engine.

Hey Cessna, I'll definitely check out that FFV Focus.