gasisoutrageous

Oh give me a break... RINs causing oil refineries to close?

Smarter Fuel Future, a group that practically redefines the concept of "being out of touch", has decided to start an entire year-long series called "The Hall of Legislative Curiosities" just for the RFS. The first video talks about the high value of RINs. It's finally starting to make sense to me. The high value of RINs right now is due to refiners and oil companies buying them up in anticipation of the EPA carrying through with their proposal.

Link to the "story".

The video:

Notice they make sure this time to mention flex fuel vehicles... 1:37 in. We're continuing to produce millions of FFVs a year, with more makes and models becoming available... never mind the 15 million plus FFVs WE ALREADY HAVE on the road in the United States.

Also notice that adding comments are disabled... gee, I wonder why.

I love how they want us of course to believe that food prices are going up... and of course refineries, owned and backed by multi-billion dollar oil companies, will close due to high "compliance costs".

These people are solely there for the purpose of eliminating the ethanol mandate... and really get me going.

Isn't the value of RINs directly tied to Oil companies unwillingness to blend ethanol?  If the whole country was big time behind e85 and blender pumps (10k+) and these were all well priced, selling HUGE volumes of ethanol... well beyond the mandated amount... would RINs virtually be of no value?  If RINs are too expensive...  simply sell more e85...

My comprehension if how RINs work is elementary at best so correct me if I'm wrong.

so in essence, the oil companies, with their refusal to support e85 and blender pumps, are creating the blend wall, and thus creating an artificially high RIN value, that in essence gives them something to complain about...

So why are their shallow, very thinly veiled complaints not simply put down with simple facts like these?  I just don't get why this argument that they are putting forward has ANY traction whatsoever!  There are no facts, no proof, no excuses for it to stand on.

That's what my take is on it Husker, they're artificially creating an issue to discredit a competitive energy source. Just 1 decent priced E85 or blender pump per community would probably fix the problem with ease and open up real choice to consumers, THEIR CUSTOMERS! Do they do that.........no, they create a false emergency then blame everybody else for the problem of their own creationwhile fooling the suckers and the for what ever reason under informed into believing their side of the story is the right one.

Edited by BJoe

Husker, the only explanation that makes any amount of sense to me is this: tell a lie, or piece of truth tweaked to fit your purpose, loud enough, frequent enough, and with enough confidence, and more people buy it.

RINs is the one dark concept regarding ethanol that I don't know much about. I don't understand it. I finally looked it up last night, and I think I have a better understanding.