Sign in to follow this  
HuskerFlex

"Snake Oil" pitches...

Just ran down to the corner auto parts store to buy some washer fluid (ran out, and it is snowing here...  look out points east of Nebraska, another global warming inspired polar vortex comin' at'cha :P )

The heavily tatooed lady behind the counter tried to get me to buy "our special fuel treatment, it's on a sale this week only, the best thing out there on the market for cleaning fuel deposits left in your fuel system, especially the injectors..."

I cut her off and said "No thanks, I use 85% ethanol, it doesn't leave any deposits, my fuel injectors are probably cleaner then when they left the assembly line..."

She responded "Yah, they probably are, but that ethanol, it can be some nasty stuff, causes water to build up in your system, creating acids that will totally destroy your fuel system from the inside out!  We have THIS ethanol treatment product that will latch onto that water from the ethanol, and allow it to pass harmlessly."

I know you can't argue with stupid, and she was probably just re-quoting the sales script that they were taught... but I couldn't help myself...  "Actually mam, it is water in GAS that is a problem, water in high ethanol blends like e85 is simply absorbed by the alcohol, and burned in regular combustion.  It is not allowed to build up like it would in gas.  Out of my 16 gallon tank, I'm putting 13 gallons of 'fuel treatment' in every fill up... what good would a pint several times a year do?"  She was obviously not aware of the chemistry behind ethanol...  and simply said "you have a good day sir, thanks for stopping, drive safe"

I just don't understand- how could you pass up on such a problem solving solution to "your problem" (your rapidly decaying fuel system with prolly 20 gal of water in your tank) and "her problem" (keeping the boss happy with grossly obscenely profitable sales). It just seems unpatriotic and unsympathetic to her needs to not part with your money. :lol:

Edited by 1outlaw

I forgot about this thread!  I went to a local Marathon to top off my Jeep today and when I went in to pay, I saw that they had Heet and Iso-Heet on one of the few shelves in the closet of a sales area they have (the building is slightly larger than a typical UPS truck).  Just for the hell of it I picked up bot and looked at the back, discovering that the Iso-Heet Injector Cleaner and Fuel Line Anti-Freeze is apparently compatable with E85................I literally burst out laughing in that closet of a store :lol: