Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

Farm bill removes subsidies for biofuel blender pumps

Probably but not 100% sure. The pump in the next town ten miles away that they gave money for actually is dispensing ethanol from a different plant that can't load railcars---just trucks. The price from that plant is cheaper and Little Sioux must be able to contract and rail for a better price so is doing just that. LS never loads trucks.

I could see an "ethanol checkoff" possibly going towards building "standalone retail infrastructure" like what Propel does in the PRK (Peoples Republik of Kalifornia) where the distribution company (propel) leases space from the retailer to put in their pump, their tank, and post their price...  well priced ethanol brings in loyal traffic which brings in store sales for the station... (actually more valuable to them than the fuel sales themselves)...

Ethanol industry needs to get creative and think outside the box...  use some entrepreneurial skills here if the crony-capitalist nanny state hasn't trained this skill out of the country yet... (sorry for the political rant, but relevant to the thread IMHO).

Relying on the RFS to mandate our competition (oil) to blend 10% ethanol, and sell them unit trains at bulk wholesale prices...  this is NOT a long term business plan, or a plan for growth, or a plan to bring energy independence to our country.  We need vision, leadership, and some hutzpa on the part of the ethanol industry to move beyond where they currently are at.  The solution will NOT be found in the halls of congress, will not be found by forcing people to buy a product, or by waiting for others to help us...

We need to get creative and help ourselves.

My hats off to folks like you have up there in Michigan with the yellow hose folks.  Propel out Outlaws old "renew" company...  they were on to something there.  We need EVERY state to have innovators like these step up.  Get money from the "ethanol checkoff" to help back them, and give it a whirl.

One thing that I just don't understand is why we have to protect people from their own stupidity. It isn't ethanol's fault, or the fault of the farm bill, that motorcyclists are putting higher level blends of ethanol in their bikes. The only logical conclusion that I can come up with is that that organization is bought and paid for by the oil industry.