Sign in to follow this  
HuskerFlex

Sapp Brothers possible station expansion...

After hearing that Sapp Brothers added e85 at their SUPER high traffic I80 travel plaza in Omaha Nebraska... I thought I'd do some searching...  I found several smaller sites that mention the Sapp Brothers travel center in Columbus as having e85.

I have an email out to their office, and will try calling to verify this.

Columbus is a good sized town (22k) with a MASSIVE ADM ethanol plant (1/2 Billion Gallons per year, and that was billion with a B), that employs MANY people as they also do corn furtose syrup and all the other things there...  LOTS of FFVs probably sitting in THAT parking lot.  The Sapp brothers station is only a few blocks from there on THE major highway through town...

It has frustrated me that one of the largest cities in Nebraska, heart of corn country, regional shopping destination, intersection of two cross country highways, largest ethanol plants in the country.... and NO E85 for the last 6+ years.

I will let you know what I find out.

If they have added it to Omaha AND Columbus, we could possibly see them adding it to OTHER travel centers across their multi-state network. ;)

The additions in Columbus make the plant unique as it has both a wet and dry mill. The trend for most facilities is to move away from wet mills when making fuel ethanol because it is less cost effective than dry mills, Dewald said.

The wet mill and dry mill are different processes, but combined produce more than 1 million gallons of ethanol per day.

Processing started at the dry mill in late 2009. The capacity of the dry mill is about 300 million gallons of ethanol per year.

http://columbustelegram.com/news/local/adm-dedicates-ethanol-power-plants/article_be7aaeb8-8ba2-11df-862c-001cc4c002e0.html

They have two plants located next to each other...  with a combined total of 500 mgy.  One is a wet mill, other a dry mill.  The 300 mgy is just for the dry mill,  wet mill is the other 200 mgy I'd assume.  The last round of expansion I believe was on the wet mill side, and was after the 2009 story you had there...

ADM is not a very big company on visability and advertising what they are and the like...  They keep their cards close to their body.

This info is from the Nebraska Ethanol Board (link below)  thought that THEY would have the full story, but nothing but the combined total of 500mgy.

ADM
Columbus
  • Opened: 1992
  • Mill Process: Wet
  • Feedstock: Corn
  • Production Capacity: 500 MGY
  • Grind: 143 MBY
  • Permanent Employees: 285

The entire complex is coal fired, which when built, was WAY cheaper then natural gas, and also features a "co-gen" power plant.  Now with fracking, the cost of NG has gone down substantially.  The site was originally "MCP" (Minnesota Corn Processors) when it was first built while I was in high school 45 minutes southwest of Columbus.  143 mby of corn...  THAT is a LOT of corn!  Quite the steady traffic of semi trucks to feed this plant.

http://www.ne-ethanol.org/?page=industry

Go to Google Maps and take a look at the plant from the satellite view----- a zillion trucks waiting to unload. The big ball is used to store the coal but coal is not the way to go anymore. Goldfield Iowa and Heron Lake MN converted/or converting to natural gas. When I invested in Goldfield, I thought coal was the way to go. Glad I sold my shares there and glad I'm in Siouxland Ethanol that is using some landfill gas from  next door---doesn't get better than that.

they are using biogas from their waste water treatment plant as well...

They also have the ability to accept corn delivery by rail units (110 rail cars)...  I read somewhere that they accept 500-600 semi trucks a day!

Talk about a good location for a corn oil/biodiesel blender pump!