Sign in to follow this  
rusty70f100

I've got a challenge for you Dan!

Here's an article I found:

Nebraska ag leaders call for expansion of state’s cattle industry

Growing Nebraska’s rural economy is important to everyone in the state—it brings jobs, people and tax revenues to communities that benefit greatly from the growth. The expansion of the ethanol industry is one way to bring jobs to rural Nebraska, but a way to add a multiplier affect to that growth is to expand the cattle industry, too.

“Industry growth is a benefit to the state—but growing the cattle industry is important to rural areas and rural development,” said Dr. Terry Klopfenstein, veteran beef nutritionist at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Klopfenstein is widely recognized for his groundbreaking research on the feeding of ethanol co-products to cattle.

When combined with ethanol, Klopfenstein said, growing the cattle industry makes even more sense. “There is a tremendous synergy between cattle production and ethanol,” he said. “Ethanol adds value to corn, and cattle adds value to the ethanol co-product distillers grains. Basically, feeding cattle is a way to stack the value of corn.”

A former president of the Nebraska Cattlemen, State Sen. Tom Hansen (North Platte), agreed with Klopfenstein’s assessment. “The more cattle we raise and feed in Nebraska, the better off we’ll be,” Hansen said. “It’s the state’s original value-added product.”

Hansen said he feeds ethanol co-products to his own cattle—distillers grain pellets as a protein supplement for replacement heifers and distillers grains in cubes for cows on the range. “Ethanol co-products are a valuable feed source,” he said, “it’s an advantage we have over other states.”

Don Hutchens, executive director of the Nebraska Corn Board, said growing Nebraska’s cattle industry compounds the growth of the ethanol industry many times over by providing numerous jobs and benefits to rural communities. “It also helps ethanol plants by providing them a ready consumer of distillers grains. As the ethanol industry grows, it makes sense to grow the cattle industry, too.”

That is funny.  I have started going back on the ford-trucks web site with the addition of my F150 firewood hauler.  I've found that generally people there (and maybe everywhere) are petty set in their ways (one way or the other) towards ethanol.  Kind of like peeing in the wind to try and 'convert' anyone.

Then there is that little voice inside me that says ' you know, the more people that use E85, the higher the price will be...it's just supply and demand.'

Yeah, you're probably right.  If anything kills off ethanol, it will be this whole "ethanol sucks" mentality.

OBTW, would it be below the oil companies to put people on the internet to influence public opinion?  Unofficially of course...

Have you guys ever checked out any of the US automakers' foreign vehicle websites?  F150's with small diesels, really great gas mileage...all sorts of stuff.

Much of it is claimed to be "unavailable" in the US by the same makers that sell them in Europe or other places.  It's all about ppl being set in their ways.  I'm a big fan of clean diesel in addition to EtOH; a lot of Americans think diesel=smelly, loud, dirty, expensive and slow.

With modern tech, diesel is no longer any of the above.