Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

-20 below-30 below ..Really Cold Starting

Next few day should be interesting.. suppose to be 20 below zeron in the morning and 30 below zero Monday morning .. with windchills of 35-60 degress below zero

Interesting to see how well the cars start on E85... that's the kind of weather though that it really makes no difference what fuel you use..

Next few day should be interesting.. suppose to be 20 below zeron in the morning and 30 below zero Monday morning .. with windchills of 35-60 degress below zero

Interesting to see how well the cars start on E85... that's the kind of weather though that it really makes no difference what fuel you use..

'Cept diesel- that is really difficult at -30. Fuel will be cloudy and will plug the filter without fuel heaters. At -30 even straight #1 oil is iffy and no additive is foolproof for #2 at that temp--especially if the vehicle sits outside and has to cold start with no heaters.

Shouldn't be a problem where I'm heading 8)

I was going to start this myself but hey, looks like i'm too slow.

milwaukee area ( for reference ), -20F last night, -12F today, -2X tonight..

Took some work to keep things fired today.

Things would crank, fire, crank ends, dies.

Wouldn't keep running.

I took to fethering the gas a bit right when i heard it fire.

This was enough for it to catch and stay running.

Then backed off and let it idle a few minutes.

Apparently some Subaru guys have taken to modifying tunes to fix this on there stuff.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/open-source-tuning/209908-e85-cold-start-issues-addressed.html

Though since mine is flex fuel i'd hope GM addressed what ever for me..

Wife drove a 02 FFV Suburban burning E85 about half the time, now 10 FFV  Impala never gave fuel a thought, they always start the same. Burning E30 in my 09 Cobalt, starts just like always.  No CEL with the Cobalt til past E45.