Sign in to follow this  
gasisoutrageous

Community already cashing in on new ethanol plant

Project Liberty is speeding right along! I can't wait to see this thing ship out its first load of ethanol... that'll let the air out of the tires of those who buy the "food not fuel" nonsense! I actually dealt with someone at the pump who said he believed ethanol was raising corn prices... but then couldn't tell me the price of corn right now.

Any rate... to the story.

Local farmers have already started supplying bales of harvest leftovers to the plant, and cashing in, in the process.

“We're creating $10-15-million revenue in a 40-mile radius,†he added.

While there are other cellulosic ethanol plants popping up, company officials say nothing is being built on this large a scale.

"The whole world is literally watching this project,†Wilson pointed out.

Poet is in the process of hiring 50-people to work at the facility when it opens.

The cellulosic plant will produce enough biogas to fuel the facility plus half of the original ethanol plant.

More from KTIV news.

I wished I felt as positive as you that this will quell the critics din. When they choose to ignore truth or are close minded then such facts simply get in the way. We have had two small waste whey ethanol plants up here for several years now- they are ignored or forgotten by critics though they prevent this waste from being land spread on frozen fields and polluting streams. It will take several "Liberties" to truly impact supply and even then I will wager the anti's will ignore them or have a new angle of how this destroys organic matter levels in soils, or the same old tired total lies of "takes more fuel to make than you get out", "destroys engines", "has less power", "drives up prices---food, fuel, eggs in China, of land values on the moon, etc", "with all the subsidies ethanol gets we could have------", "starves babies (yes-I was accused of being a baby killer more than once)", "causes the dead zone in the Gulf", "causes carbon to be released due to displacing food crops", "takes a gazillion gallons of water to make a drop of fuel even in Illinois on non-irrigated land", and much more. I am sure that this additional non-grain feedstock production will certainly have even more things the such folks will dream up as issues to shout us down with.

You see, that's the thing here. I don't see it as productive to be pessimistic about it. It's obvious that ethanol will be dealing with setbacks. I'm not arguing with that notion. But it's without people like myself, and thousands of other people that either advocate for ethanol or travel 20 miles to buy E85 (ran into someone who told me they drive that far to fill up their Impala) that ethanol wouldn't be able to fight opposition.

Even though I am now in the business, I still come from a point of neutrality. It helps maintain a significant amount of credibility when the bias is not there. While I have distant family that own a farm up in the thumb, I did not grow up in agriculture, or the ethanol business for that matter. Just like oil is, our side must remain persistent and fight for the cause we all believe in.

You see, that's the thing here. I don't see it as productive to be pessimistic about it. It's obvious that ethanol will be dealing with setbacks. I'm not arguing with that notion. But it's without people like myself, and thousands of other people that either advocate for ethanol or travel 20 miles to buy E85 (ran into someone who told me they drive that far to fill up their Impala) that ethanol wouldn't be able to fight opposition.

Even though I am now in the business, I still come from a point of neutrality. It helps maintain a significant amount of credibility when the bias is not there. While I have distant family that own a farm up in the thumb, I did not grow up in agriculture, or the ethanol business for that matter. Just like oil is, our side must remain persistent and fight for the cause we all believe in.

Agreed- 100% but do not be surprised how well the entrenched energy and food companies fight. Do not overestimate the open mindedness of the ignorant or those who made their decision what is right long ago. Just saying--or you will be stunned and overwhelmed and want to give up the battle to educate those who might learn  ;)

That's why I believe so strongly in reinforcing those who already use it. It makes my work immensely easier to have Yellow Hose at my disposal. I've talked to a lot of people that are flabbergasted when they hear that they can fill up at $2.30/gallon instead of $3.09 or $3.30.

I think we're gonna have to run out of oil to change hearts and minds, it's too big a fight. Too much power in the current defacto monopoly. I just keep using as much ethanol as I can get away with until I get a new FFV. The majority of Americans are, literally.. (sorry to use one of the most annoying words of 2013) scared of this great alternative fuel that we like to use. When I go to stories on the web regarding ethanol, it's not the shills that make me want to give up. It's how passionate that the regular people can be about how bad they think ethanol is, while at the same time they are wrong. People just don't have time to care about what's going on with this.