Sign in to follow this  
HuskerFlex

Ford Ecoboost... when will it be FFV (if ever)

I don't know much about why they aren't making them flex fuel, but what I was told when I test drove the Explorer back in September is that they aren't able to make the turbo engine with the Ecoboost flex fuel. I don't buy that, but that's what I was told. Maybe they should talk to GM about the 2013 Buick Regal Turbo Flex Fuel? Just a thought.

Yeah, look at bmw's n20 engine they throw in the 3 series now.  a 2 liter direct injected, turbocharged engine (just like the eco-boost) that a tuning kit is available (that plugs into 4 or 5 harnesses) that allows you to run e85 in a 50/50 mix with premium, which will get you 300 hp and over 300 ft lbs of torque, from a little 2 liter 4 banger...that's incredible!  So running e85 in a setup like that is totally possible...I'm waiting for someone to map a program to run straight e85 in that thing....

I find it encouraging that Ford seems to be working towards E85 support in Ecoboost, as that post by Mike Wolfe seems to indicate.

I read somewhere, a long time ago, that the first generation of Ecoboost wasn't going to support E85, but that the second generation was.    I thought it was out in Wikipedia somewhere, but I can't seem to find reference to it now, and Wikipedia's facts have been known to be a little dubious these days.

WM