Sign in to follow this  
HuskerFlex

Ford Ecoboost... when will it be FFV (if ever)

I've been looking around at vehicles...  like a few of the Fords, but wish to hell that those ecoboost engines were FFV.  They have some great technology that really almost sounds like it was designed to be ethanol friendly...  It galls me that these engines of all engines are not FFV...

Has anyone done any experimenting with splash blending, or running e85 with no conversions on one of these FFVs?

Would like to see someone with a plug in live data reader so some extensive testing...  splashblend their way up to e85 and see how the engine responds.

I'd be curious what it would do.

I don't know if this counts, but I did find this video of a twin turbo Ford Flex that was programmed to run E85  and has a bunch of other external work done to it.  Not sure what was done fuel system wise, but the engine itself (and I believe trans and AWD system) are all factory.

I did find this just now

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/ecoboost-engines-334/967220-first-ecoboost-600hp.html

Me too... I have a 2010 Escape FFV.  I'm not terribly fond of the new Escapes, but even if I was, I wouldn't buy one because their not FFV.

I'll be looking at the Dodge Journey/GMC Terrain or an Edge with the FFV V6.

I like the edge.  Would like to see this with a peppy ecoboost i4 FFv running e85.  This would be great in the fusion also.  The 3.0 v6 FFV is actually more power then the fusion "needs" so the economy is less then it could be.  I like the idea of taking advantage of the added hp in e85 to downsize the engine.

Ford Bobcat engine blends ethanol with gasoline:

fordbobcatengine_zps33aea93b.png

Each cylinder has its own gas and ethanol injectors.  Ethanol is used to cool the mixture and to prevent knocking.  System should/could improve fuel economy of  up to 30% at a cost of $1000-$1500.  Efficiency of turbo diesel at 1/3 cost.  See this link:  http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/06/sneak-peek-ford-bobcat-dual-fuel-engine.html

I don't know much about why they aren't making them flex fuel, but what I was told when I test drove the Explorer back in September is that they aren't able to make the turbo engine with the Ecoboost flex fuel. I don't buy that, but that's what I was told. Maybe they should talk to GM about the 2013 Buick Regal Turbo Flex Fuel? Just a thought.

If anyone wanted to produce a FFV vehicle (which is not that much different than a regular one), they could. But then, no support from Exxon and friends anymore.

I talked to a buddy of mine in Africa last week, no problem to buy a Hyundai FFV there (Accent/hatchback). Here I am told that Hyundai currently does not offer FFV vehicles. Wrong, you don't offer them in the US.

Remember, last year Walmart was not the most profitable company anymore, it was Exxon. Want to bet it will be the same this year?

Greetings!

Hey Husker interesting thread here .. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1156693-ecoboost-ffv-engine.html

Looks like one person Got the Dealership to set change Fuel Maps !!!

Freshman User

Garage is empty, add now     

MikeWolfe is starting off with a positive reputation.

E85 In ECO Boost Engines

Hi All:

Had the newest ECU software updates done by the local dealer last month

Been using a mix of 50% E85 & 50% Premium in my 2011 FORD F150 Super Crew 4X4 for several months now.

No problems noted.

Engine has a lot more power with this mix which I estimate is about 100 Octane.

Mileage was between 19.1 & 20.2 with premium only.

Averaging 17.5 to 18.3 with the 50-50 mix.

Works great for me.

You might want to sign up over there and ask him which dealer ..buy your Edge from that dealer ..if he will throw in the Fuel Map change