Sign in to follow this  
HuskerFlex

Long list of closed stations in Iowa...

I cross checked "our list" with the Iowa RFA's list... and found a long list that we had that they didn't...  a few of them were open, and selling e85, but most were closed or no longer selling e85.

Dan, please remove these stations from the list.

Corydon  MFA

Leon  Petro Card 24

Lidderdale  Farmers Cooperative

Mount Pleasant  Unity BioFuel (blender :'()

Olds  Unity Biofuel (blender  :'()

Orange City  Midwest Farmers Coop

Orange City  Sinclare

Rock Rapids  Lyon County Coop

Sergeant Bluff  Phillips 66

Superior  Green Plains Energy  (this is the address for the ethanol plant itself, not a fuel station)

I have several others that I couldn't get an answer for that I'm not giving up hope on... but they most likely are no longer in business/not selling e85...

Though I hate to see these 10 stations closing... I think we added more then 10 in this process...  when you factor in that these were 10 small, out of the way, over priced low volume stores (for the most part), being replaced by larger, better located, high volume stores with better prices... this is a BIG jump forward for ethanol as an alternative fuel.

Thanks Brad..I started calling down the list.. MFA use to have  a great relationship with one of the local ethanol plants and was adding E85 at all their locations.. but yep some have falling to the wayside

I'll get it cleaned  up later tonight

dan

I called on all the ones I posted in this thread already.  The "Unity biofuel" stations (blenders) the attendant said they got "bought out" and are now BP...  Rock Rapids manager told me that they never did have e85... they applied for a grant, but never built it... but "have been on some of the lists ever since"...

the ones I couldn't get a confirmation one way or another, that Iowa RFA didn't have but we did were...

Exira  Eira fuel 24 (star energy)

Lovilia  Gas & Go

New Hardford  The Curve

Northwood  Norther Co-op Services

Ottumwa  Gas N More

these were the only ones I didn't get ahold of.  Well, the guy at the Sinclare station in Orange City told me that "the other one in town didn't sell e85 either, the closest station was..."  I took his word on this...

Orange City is 20 miles west of me and actually hasn't had E85 for years. Sioux Center is 10 miles northwest of OC and has E85. I filled there a couple of months ago and can't even remember if it's a blender but i think so. Kind of interesting about Hartley which is 15 miles NE of me----Dino's put in a blender a few years ago since Valero has the ethanol plant in town but won't at the store they have here in Paullina. I've hounded the guy for years and Little Sioux Ethanol plant will even give him $15,000 but no joy. Evidently the Cenex cardtol in Hartley finally decided to get with the program.

Two more closed stations...

Star Energy, Farnhamville

Star Energy, Roelyn

I just received an e-mail from a manager with them confirming this...  "We have pulled E85 from those locations due to the lack of sales volume.  Thank you"

So they pulled e85 from low volume locations, and added blenders to higher volume locations...  makes sense.

This should just about do it for cleaning up Iowa's collection of stations.  The percentage of blenders in Iowa is going steadily up...  and now even blenders in Metro area markets... 8)

e85 is all about "chicken and eggs"...

1.  Can't get more FFVs till we have more station... but can't get more stations till we have more FFVs....

2.  Need to price the fuel low to sell any volume...  but can't price it low unless you have a sufficient volume to purchase it correctly...

These really have been two key issues hampering e85 taking off as an alternative fuel.

e85 is all about "chicken and eggs"...

1.  Can't get more FFVs till we have more station... but can't get more stations till we have more FFVs....

2.  Need to price the fuel low to sell any volume...  but can't price it low unless you have a sufficient volume to purchase it correctly...

These really have been two key issues hampering E85 taking off as an alternative fuel.

Totally Agree..

which is why I really believe the path is a FFV Mandate... which is really what the Industry needs as well if they ever expect to see  E15/E20 as a base fuel