Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

Compare E85 Prices based on Octane Rating?

E85 has a Octane Rating of 98-105 , Should E85 Price comparison be based on Octane Rating?..   

8 members have voted

1. 1. E85 has a Octane Rating of 98-105 , Should E85 Price comparison be based on Octane Rating?..

• Yes
    • No
    • Show Price Spreads for all the Octanes- E85 Vs 87 - E85 Vs 89 Octane- E85 vs 93 Octane etc..
    • Undecided

Should Price Comparisons be based on Octane Rating?    Since Gasoline Prices are based on Octane rating where 85/87 Octane is less than Mid Grade 89 Octane  and Premium 91/93/95 Octane  ..does it reason then that E85 with an Octane rating of 98-105 be price compared to the highest Gasoline Octane ?

This would be a Major Change at E85Prices.com and we would take a lot of grief from you know who...but the reality is that is how Oil compares/prices their Products ..and the higher octanes don't have anything to do with mpg

I'm voting no, for a couple reasons. E85's octane rating is rarely posted on the pump... and when it is, it is cited as 105... which is not always correct. The octane rating varies based on a number of factors, most namely, the exact percentage of the mixture that is ethanol, and what the denaturant is (gasoline or natural gas).

I say no because...  to the average Joe/Jane... octane doesn't mean squat...  heck, most people think e85 is lower grade gas because "85 is lower then 87, 89 or 91 octane gas!"... 

Why confuse the morons more then they already are!

I say no because...  to the average Joe/Jane... octane doesn't mean squat...  heck, most people think e85 is lower grade gas because "85 is lower then 87, 89 or 91 octane gas!"... 

Why confuse the morons more then they already are!

+1

I voted undecided but lean heavily towards no. I guess I am open to see what it might look like.

Maybe 90% of all gas engines are set up for 87 octane (at under 2,000' elevation) and perhaps only 10-20% more of the 90% will advance timing enough to take advantage of the added octane -this might give us 20-30% of vehicles that MIGHT respond. I do not see that price comparison by octane is helpful- octane is one of those things that if needed it is of value- otherwise not of concern. Racers are keenly aware of E85 and methanol's antiknock characteristics and the value relationships. Others who own cars that require premium would never put in E85 or high blends because either they do not care about 1) environment 2) local jobs, 3) cleaner burn, 4) miles per dollar, 5) to take a "risk" on filling their baby with something "different". I'll pick on Mercedes FFV owners here ;)  Yes- there were Mercedes FFV's but I NEVER saw one at an E85 pump- EVER.

What is true is that some consumers believe more is better (octane) but do not know why- perhaps we may not want them buying E85 for the wrong reason?

. Racers are keenly aware of E85 and methanol's antiknock characteristics and the value relationships.

That one reason I came back to this issue..I see a LOT of not necessarily racers but guys with "hot rods" at the E85 pump..and the only reason they are buying is because of the Octane...

But again that is a minority user of E85 overall

no

oops wait. this isn't gas***dy, thats a response for that site.

For all the mentioned reasons, non e-85 advocates (unlike us) will be confused.

Outlaw I did see one ONCE, at your old grand chute location. I am sure of it... was a tan/maybe silver colored Mercedes. he had the blue nozzle! And only once :)

no

oops wait. this isn't gas***dy, thats a response for that site.

For all the mentioned reasons, non e-85 advocates (unlike us) will be confused.

Outlaw I did see one ONCE, at your old grand chute location. I am sure of it... was a tan/maybe silver colored Mercedes. he had the blue nozzle! And only once :)

Wow Steve- wonder how he figured out it was an FFV? There was no sticker, no cap, only way to know was via VIN and looking up on the list. (maybe it was in the owners manual) The thing with Mercedes was that those FFV's required 91 octane minimum- always figured they would be an obvious choice for E85 IF the programming was an good.

I would say no as I already do that. But most people might not be as inclined to do some arithmetic. Which is precisely why they should be compared.

There is also the lack of regulation or a minimum octane for E85. Even though E50-E85 might have the same octane, they give significantly different results. Assuming all else is equal, an engine running E85 will make more power while consuming more fuel than E50.