Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

Iowa City may negotiate contract with trash-to-ethanol company..Fiberight

Fiberights trash to ethanol is becoming a reality in Iowa. They already signed a contract with the City of Marion and Now Iowa City is coming on board ..

I visited the Blairstown MSW Plant a few years back .. This has been one of my favorite Ethanol Companies for years .. their approach is to set up small-medium 5-25 million gallon size MSW Plants out side small/medium size Cities across the Country .

Their team has a very strong recycling background ..so that was one of their main focuses ..the separation process.. the bio material from the metals etc.. but all the material will be a revenue source

anyway..

the article

Iowa City may be headed toward negotiations with the same trash-to-ethanol company Marion is working with.

The City Council likely will be asked to approve a resolution that would allow city staffers to negotiate terms and price with Fiberight LLC at its Dec. 17 meeting, Public Works Director Rick Fosse told the council at a work session Tuesday night.

The Maryland-based company made the only submission in a request for proposals from the city earlier this year for firms that would take garbage from the city landfill for use in ethanol production.

If a contract is reached, it would bring a “paradigm shift” in refuse collection in Iowa City, Fosse said.

Fiberight has said it could reduce the amount of solid waste going into Iowa City’s landfill by up to 80 percent. The company says it can make ethanol out of food waste and contaminated material that cannot be recycled.

In August, Fiberight and Marion signed a deal to send garbage to an ethanol plan in Blairstown in Benton County.

- See more at: http://thegazette.com/2013/12/04/iowa-city-may-negotiate-contract-with-trash-to-ethanol-company/#sthash.dRDFa9lX.dpuf

Should be done everywhere. One of the main reasons I invested in the Jackson NE corn ethanol plant was because of the methane from the adjoining landfill---it's just a supplement but they are increasing the methane usage and it is the ticket into California with their Low Carbon Fuel Standard. Sometimes things I think are ridiculous aren't all bad.

THIS technology is the key to ethanol as a viable ALTERNATIVE fuel.

1.  NON corn, not dependent on market/weather/demand-supply of a single feedstock.

2.  taking waste and making it profitable

3.  distributed production at the site of the feedstock (minimal if any transportation costs)

4.  making landfill space last all that much longer...  heck 80% longer.  Will help bring down the cost of waste removal in the very near future...

These are the folks to watch.

I agree with HuskerFlex.  I think this is a great way to go, and from an environmental perspective makes a lot of sense.

I don't think Des Moines has one of these (making Ethanol), but I think they are doing something with Methane Gas out at the landfill.

Hell, you could put one in each ...

Newark NJ, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens...

Locate them at garbage transfer sites...  reduce the garbage being shipped out of the city by 80%.  Have barges (as their trash is almost all done by barge) delivering denaturent, so they can blend e85 there at these distributed sites...  then you have VERY low cost e85 literally a few miles from very high volume e85 stations!