Sign in to follow this  
gasisoutrageous

Some changes I encountered

Hey Dan,

Found 3 of them.

1) Frank's Sunoco in Parma, OH is now a Valero.

2) Good thing I called to check on this one... the location listed as "Dulaney Oil" in Morgantown, WV does not have E85. I called, and the woman said that they have never had that.

3) The Chevron Station listed in Washington DC is now a Sunoco. Also, their phone number is (301) 972-4116

how did you do on your cross country (well, a good part of it) trip on e85?  Curious how it went for e85 availability, price, driving conditions and miles...

The most fun I've had with e85 has been on cross country trips...  ads a bit of adventure to the trip.  Also occasionally gets you off the beaten path, into "real America" of the interstates.

As I like "pump-side ethanol gospel messages"... doing it outside your state and raving about how long you've used e85 only and how many states you've bought it in... hope that that has an effect on locals.  Chat it up with the cashiers inside the store.

I've actually achieved a mileage record on this trip. I filled up this morning in Harrisburg, PA at $2.999/gallon, and got 33.1 mpg! That really took the edge off of the fact that I also set a personal record high of the highest price I've ever paid for E85: $3.559/gallon. That's what it spiked to last year on the heels of a drought. Only 10 cents below regular too. I bought at a 14 cent spread at Frank's Valero in Parma, OH (ironically the Speedway there had a better spread... if only I had known that!), and a 50 cent in Pittsburgh. All mileage numbers so far have been above 20... even with a lot of city driving conditions through Cleveland (during rush hour), Pittsburgh, and DC. This part of the country is anything but flat too... and I was concerned that would complicate things. E85 is much more limited east of Pittsburgh, and very difficult to find. I had to do my homework to find it.

Nonetheless, I have not put a drop of E-10 in my car the whole trip, or for over a month, and I do not intend for that to change.

As for the pricing, I should note that the stations along the PA turnpike that carry it had a horrible spread today. Both Sunoco stations I found had a 17 cent NEGATIVE spread. So, I am buying northwest of Pittsburgh. Plenty of fuel to make it there. West of Pittsburgh, I should be golden.

I think that the license plate is going a long way to promote the E85 cause. It has now been seen across over 1,200 miles.

Maybe he meant 40 cents.... http://www.e85prices.com/pennsylvania.html

Yes.  The Wexford GetGo is closest to my home and has the 37-40 cent spread. It was a measly 10 cents not too long ago.  I have been to the Sheetz near the airport.  He did not get to the Sheetz in Monroeville or the Sunoco Station on the Pa. Turnpike that is in the Pittsburgh region between Rt 28 and the Monroeville exit.

Hey Dan,

Found 3 of them.

1) Frank's Sunoco in Parma, OH is now a Valero.

2) Good thing I called to check on this one... the location listed as "Dulaney Oil" in Morgantown, WV does not have E85. I called, and the woman said that they have never had that.

3) The Chevron Station listed in Washington DC is now a Sunoco. Also, their phone number is (301) 972-4116

Morning Aaron..thanks for the updates.  Charter Internet went down yesterday didn't get a chance to make the changes.

Gotcha Dan. Well I misspoke on the 50 cent spread... that was actually at the Sheetz I filled up at in Harrisburg (which incidentally was the best spread I encountered on my trip). I filled up at a 40 cent spread in Pittsburgh at the Sheetz on Campbell Run Road, and again at the GetGo in Wexford on the snowy way back.

Ran into A LOT of heavy snow, and low visibility on the Ohio Turnpike. Plenty of semi drivers going 65 through a 70, when I'm driving safely. Even saw a couple that jackknifed!

wondering how come Urbieta Oil that has done so well with E-85 sales in South Florida has not expanded it to all its 73 stations?

that will keep them in the lead in Florida and even increase their profit margins

anybody there reading this?

Ran into A LOT of heavy snow, and low visibility

on the Ohio Turnpike. Plenty of semi drivers going 65 through a 70, when I'm driving safely. Even saw a couple that jackknifed!

There is a section of the Ohio Turnpike east of Cleveland that is prone to snow coming off of Lake Erie during the colder months.  I'm going thru this area on Friday on my trip to Eagle River, Wisconsin.