Sign in to follow this  
gasisoutrageous

I'm going to the EPA hearing next week... wish me luck!

To be blunt, I kicked some a**. My speech began with a preface of neutrality. I pointed out that I was not paid or even asked to appear there... and had no affiliation with ethanol. I made the connection to one of the panelists before me, who made the case that because he is on a fixed income, he can't afford "the high costs associated with the RFS". I said in my testimony that I too am on a fixed income, but that's why I support the RFS. I spent a while on tar sands, and the connection to the RFS proposal, I dispelled the "Food not Fuel" argument, and my personal favorite quote was "A fuel that doesn't work for the American economy, has no promise, and harms the consumer, does not grow like that" (referring to E85). I had a loud round of applause, had some funny exchanges with the EPA panel, and talked to a lot of pro-ethanol people who were blind-sighted by the fact that I essentially came out of nowhere and gave this testimony. I will attach a photo of my speech later. Afterwards, I had a number of corn growers congratulate me, and one of the EPA members came and did so. I actually spoke with someone from Monsanto (didn't have the heart to say to her what I felt about what they do), and several people from the Renewable Fuel Association. Bob Dineen, the president, came up to me, introduced himself... and told me a scholarship waiving the fee to get into the National Ethanol Conference in February is mine. I don't have to apply. I spent the rest of the afternoon and evening with Mitch, Jim Zook (MI Corn), and a couple other guys from Michigan.

Sounds GREAT!!!!! Bob Dinneen's job here you come. Don't be so hard on Monsanto, when I started farming, 120 bushels to the acre was considered very good. Now it's 200 and I feel it is mostly genetics.

very good work.

I really like to see people step up and speak.  Especially non-paid amateurs.

For me, THESE folks are what should influence policy... not paid shills dispensing well choreographed lies that have been vetted against sample target audiences, then refined to clearly gain the effect desires.

Honest citizens speaking the truth.

Democracy at it's finest.