Sign in to follow this  
gasisoutrageous

Despite EPA proposal, E15 is expanding rapidly

As the title says, numerous locations are adding E15 in the heart of the country. This weekend, I'll go through my twitter feed and post the locations I've seen. I'm assuming they're in the database already, but just need blenders.

As the title says, numerous locations are adding E15 in the heart of the country. This weekend, I'll go through my twitter feed and post the locations I've seen. I'm assuming they're in the database already, but just need blenders.

Morning Aaron

It isn't the blenders pumps with E15 that is an issue  it is E15 REPLACING E10 and those are not expanding ..and IMO that is GOOD..the only place E15 needs to be is at a blender pump.

If Stations are then they are not interested in E85

Read this and think about it ..

Some independent Minnesota station owners, led by Penn Mobil's Richard Bohnen, not only are adding E15, but they are cutting ties to major oil companies, which have fought the ethanol industry's efforts to substitute renewable fuels for petroleum fuels. At least four stations plan to rebrand under the name Minnoco, owned and controlled by station owners.

"The advantage is that you own your own brand," said Bohnen, founding president of Minnoco.

The ethanol industry is promoting higher-ethanol blends so its market doesn't max out at 10 percent of the nation's fuel supply — what the industry calls the "blend wall." While blends of up to 85 percent, or E85, can be used in flexible fuel cars, that market is limited. E15 is aimed at the 75 percent of car owners who drive 2001 or newer vehicles.

"It is a major market-share battle," said Mike O'Brien, a vice president at Growth Energy, an ethanol industry trade group.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/minneapolis-gas-station-offers-higher-162347244.html

I spoke with them and they have no intention of adding E85

I wont ever stop at the station..they are not supporting the consumer looking for alternative fuels like E85  they are supporting the corn lobby and ethanol Industry seeking high volume sales

My Focus has had almost all E85. With that said, in a perfect world, E30 would be the best----good mpg, high octane, low emissions, and a pretty good bite in BIG OIL's rear. ;)

Yeah if they want fast volume even E30 is better than E15 and E30 is at least resembles an alternative fuel.. AND it would mean the auto Industry would need more FFVS

Another thought about the perfect world with E30. If E30 was the base, then auto makers could build the little, high compression engines and be assured that the high octane fuel would be everywhere without supply shortages. E85 would work better in those engines also, especially if we really had a glut of ethanol at times.  And, the old stuff on the road, like my 2000 Buick, 1995 Aspire, and 1992 Toyota 4x4 would have fuel that works too. But, we know we'll never have a perfect world.

I'm both with you, and not with you, Dan. I agree that we need to focus on E85. Using so much E15 takes ethanol out of the supply for those of us who go the whole 9 yards, and makes it less attractive to those who are considering using E85.

But that all being said, we have to start somewhere. E15, I think, is a great way to show that ethanol is nowhere near as harmful to engines as big oil portrays it to be, and shows that using higher ethanol blends can be economical and cost-effective. We all have a common goal - that is to see ethanol succeed. You never know - people might try E15, realize it's economical and doesn't damage their car's engine, and then step up to E85.

We all have a common goal - that is to see ethanol succeed. You never know - people might try E15, realize it's economical and doesn't damage their car's engine, and then step up to E85.

Umm Aaron

No we don't have a common goal on ethanol..I could care less if "ethanol" succeeds (as an additive)  .. I do care if E85 Succeeds..

E15 is for the Industry ..E85 is for the Consumer

Have you ever heard or seen anyone LOOKING for E15 at the Pump?

I must say Dan that I respectfully disagree. You're right though that E15 should not be pushed, but I have heard from people who are disappointed that their vehicles can't take E85... and would be more than willing to use E15. I'm on the cusp of talking to my mom about that.

I run E85 because I like how my vehicle performs on it better than the non ethanol 87 octane and now the 87 octane E10 they are pushing in Des Moines now.  (89 is a thing of the past it seems...)

However..  I do notice the Mile Per Tank drop while I am running it.  The sweet spot for my Escape really seems to be in the E30 - E50 range, and if they offered it here in Des Moines, I would probably prefer that to the E85, as the MPG seems to work in my favor at that blend...

It would be awesome if they would come out with dedicated E85 engines, and have the fuel delivery infrastructure to support it across the country.  I'd never go back.

WM