Sign in to follow this  
BJoe

Monsanto........Great Evil?

Why is it I keep seeing Monsanto's name pop up by anti-ethanol commentors online, do they have some sort of evil pull on par or greater than oil does or are they more of a lesser evil and being somewhat scape goated?

Why is it I keep seeing Monsanto's name pop up by anti-ethanol commentors online, do they have some sort of evil pull on par or greater than oil does or are they more of a lesser evil and being somewhat scape goated?

Not the Hitler level of Evil or the Greasy Evil of OIl..  middle ground greedy evil  ;D

My brother works for Monsanto on one of their "foundation seed farms"...  I know he's bellied up to their "kool-aid-counter"...  But he insists that every single last penny of the money they get from their highly publicized law suits over farmers collecting seed from last years crop of GMO beans to replant the next year (against the agreement they signed)... is donated to schools, charities and scholarship foundations in that part of the state where the case was from... 

They are suing out of principle, to keep "greedy farmers" (that don't want to pay for the technology that makes them profitable) from taking advantage of the multi millions that that the seed company has invested in research, more research, pre production, production, distribution...

They are not suing to get rich, they want that money to stay in the local community, they are suing out of principle...

As much as some GMO worries me, and my historic nostalgic side laments the bygone era of the self sufficient farmer that grew his own seed, and grew his own fuel (oats for the horses)...  Those were also the days of back breaking labor, minimal if any profits, crop failures and plagues of insects...  and corn that yielded 30 bushels an acre!  http://www.agry.purdue.edu/ext/corn/news/timeless/YieldTrends.html

The "good old days" it turns out weren't all that good.  Technology comes with a price.

I'm not claiming that Monsanto (and others like them) are benevolent saints..  FAR from it, but they have harnessed the genius of mankind minds (biotech), and applied it to some groundbreaking technology allowing hundreds of thousands of people to have profitable jobs, and many billions to have affordable and plentiful food.

How profitable would farms be without these ?

I would have to agree, their opposition to ethanol appears to be counterproductive...  it is the demand from ethanol that has allowed these farmers to sell these bumper crops at the profitable rates they have...  They would not be able to ask what they are asking for seed were corn to be at the $1-2 range...  They should be SUPPORTING and helping push ethanol... 

UNLESS they are also owned by the same evil forces that own big oil....  we could be dealing with a two headed monster....?  what do I know...

Oh, Monsanto is evil, no doubt.  GMO's are, in my opinion, one of the worst ideas conceived of in the history of mankind, right after communism and the atom bomb.

http://www.thelibertybeacon.com/2013/07/15/stop-poisoning-us-with-genetically-modified-foods/

http://www.thelibertybeacon.com/2013/11/18/do-gmo-foods-cause-cancer/

There's much more out there about it if you take the time to look.

I think that GMO foods should be required to be labelled as such, as a precursor to being outlawed.  GMO's would be fine in fuel alcohol production though.  That's where it belongs, so long as the genetically modified plant doesn't itself pose any environmental risks.

Monsanto is like any other corporate giant that has lobbyists and huge legal departments that can twist anything into their favor. For example Monsanto has done tests to determine that their chemicals are NOT what is causing the honeybee population to decline, despite several other independent tests that conclude otherwise. I cannot hold the blue collar employees of these giant companies to any degree of responsibility because they are just trying to "live the dream" but for the White collar suits that get bonuses larger than my last 10 years of combined salary, I hold them completely responsible.

I just don't get when independent labs, true earth environmentalist hippie types or whomever make conclusions based on factual scientific data, whether it be ethanol related or the decline in honeybee's, everyone looks at the tests and reports from the ones who benefit most from destruction of whatever they test to drive the results to show what they are doing what is right (Monsanto), as they count the Billions they make in the process.

I'm not sure what to think. About everything I'm doing is wrong when it comes to GMO and insecticide. Here is a picture of a corn field I have that has an old building site that should be gone. There is a metal shed and an old house and if you look close, you'll see bee hives that a guy has put there for 10 or 12 years because of the protection and it is 1 mile to town and flowers. The corn is Roundup Ready, corn bore and root worm resistant. When the field is Roundup Ready soybeans and I have to spray for aphids, I tell my friend the spray pilot not to spray when the wind is blowing toward the hives. The guy just gave me another 6 gallons of honey for letting him put the bee hives there.

IMG_3484_zps274c0087.jpg

It's not the issue with the bees making contact with the chemical during the spray application. It's in the pollen that they digest to produce the honey. Ask your beekeeper about his yields the last few years. I would be amazed if he hasn't seen a decline in the bee population and a decline in the health of the bees, year over year. It is a world wide problem. It also is with a certain type of chemical typically used on the seed corn when planted.

By the placement of those hives in the picture, I'd be willing to bet that your soybean yields increase just from the pollination factor. I have been told bees in close proximity to beans are a farmers friend and farmers look for beekeepers to bees near their fields for that reason.

I'm not sure what to think. About everything I'm doing is wrong when it comes to GMO and insecticide. Here is a picture of a corn field I have that has an old building site that should be gone. There is a metal shed and an old house and if you look close, you'll see bee hives that a guy has put there for 10 or 12 years because of the protection and it is 1 mile to town and flowers. The corn is Roundup Ready, corn bore and root worm resistant. When the field is Roundup Ready soybeans and I have to spray for aphids, I tell my friend the spray pilot not to spray when the wind is blowing toward the hives. The guy just gave me another 6 gallons of honey for letting him put the bee hives there.

IMG_3484_zps274c0087.jpg

Up here the maroa mite caused colony collapse disorder in bee colonies starting back in about 1988. A local honey producer/packer I know was very open about it at that time and is still in business to this day in spite of the continued collapse of his colonies during that era. This was of course long before any GMO crops.

Mites and other predators have been around for years. Skunks love to get into bee hives and cause great damage. The Neonicotinoid chemical is believed to be worse than any mite or predator. Just Google colony collapse disorder and see what Google fills in to finish your search string. In my search Monsanto is #3. What does this have to do with ethanol. In most instances ethanol is a grown organic product and pollination helps to grow that plant. Not intending to create a debate here, but I am passionate about beekeeping.

Up here the maroa mite caused colony collapse disorder in bee colonies starting back in about 1988. A local honey producer/packer I know was very open about it at that time and is still in business to this day in spite of the continued collapse of his colonies during that era. This was of course long before any GMO crops.