Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

2014 Dodge Journey 3.6l E85

I'm going to look at those as well...  I had a 2004 Plymouth Caravan that only gave me trouble once in 100,000 miles of driving (and that was covered by a recall)...  I'd still have it if a 16 year old kid didn't end it's life with his Dad's Jeep Commander. :(

Only thing it didn't have was AWD.

What's good mileage for a Caravan/T&C? I picked up a 2014 Caravan R/T. Put about 1,000 miles on it before making the switch to E85.

My wife drives it %95 of the time, she commutes 2 miles to work with 4 traffic lights and then it's used for grocery running and around town running. Lots of stop and go, rarely on the highway. It also has remote start which she LOVES to use when it gets cold out.

Needless to say the mileage as of late is horrid, especially with E85. We're averaging about 12mpg right now. Plus the tank on these is way smaller than I thought they would be. Probably because of the stow-n-go. I'm used to have 20g or more but it seems these will only take on about 16-17, at 12-13mpg it's around 200 miles between fill ups.

I've taken a few trips on the highway with it and with econ on and easy driving getting 20mpg+ on the highway isn't all that hard.

I can't vouch for the new engine... my '08 has the 3.3 in it... totally different cat there...

But with mini-vans in general...  WIND (any direction except a tailwind) totally slashes your mileage.

With e85 in general, short trips are hard on the mileage.  e85 is the most efficient when the engine warms up. 

From my experience 12-13 on nothing but short trips is just about right on e85.  For the highway... sounds like the new engine is much better then the 3.3.  On nothing but highway miles, with no wind factor...  I don't know that we've ever gotten more then 17/18 mpg.  With our mixed, it is consistently at 15mpg. 

With the 3.3, it really likes the extra octane with the resulting HP and torque boost it provides...  on regular gas it drives like a barge...  If I were a used car salesman (hope it never comes to this)... I'd have every FFV on the lot filled with e85 as it simply makes the drive peppeir IMHO... which would probably sell more cars.  Just my theory. ;D

Do you have the Econ button in the '08? I haven't been able to test it being on and off to see how much it helps on paper but it CERTAINLY changes the shifting. It doesn't hold out in each gear, it will shift to the next gear very quickly and seems to try and use the torque from the motor to turn over a taller gear. It seems the most beneficial around 40-50mph where it will be barely turning 1200rpm.

I never really romped on it with the standard gas, I've laid into it a few times running the E85 with Econ off and it REALLY pulls hard all the way until I lifted at 80.  ;D Surprisingly quick actually.

I never really romped on it with the standard gas, I've laid into it a few times running the E85 with Econ off and it REALLY pulls hard all the way until I lifted at 80.  ;D Surprisingly quick actually.

Also quote from previous:

"Needless to say the mileage as of late is horrid, especially with E85. We're averaging about 12mpg right now."

:D :D :D :D :D  Hmmmmmm ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D