gasisoutrageous

Meijer Discussion

First of all, welcome to the forums! I noticed you posting the prices for the Meijer on the south side... can't complain, saves me the fuel of going down there to get the prices!

Anyways, Carbon Green BioEnergy is a company that owns the ethanol plant out in Lake Odessa, and manages two other plants. They have a program called yellow hose, which sells discounted, pre-blended E85 to region retailers on the condition that they maintain a $0.70/gallon price difference between E85 and regular. I am told that Meijer did not want to be associated with the yellow hose name, which is why they are not in the program.

Yellow hose was at $1, and Meijer was at a $0.70 spread, but the low gasoline prices are killing the spreads.

Pretty much every Meijer station south of US-10 and west of M-52 is supplied by Carbon Green BioEnergy. Brighton, I assume it's Carbon Green, but I'm not sure.

So how do you like your Silverado? I've heard little other than good things about the new ones,

Please, feel free to shoot me a PM and if necessary, I'll talk your ear off about this stuff lol. Also, since you're in the area, I work at the J&H Marathon at Lake Lansing and Hagadorn in East Lansing.

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the info. I work off of Okemos Rd and 96. Since I pass by that exit for the Meijer station on Penn I think it's going to now be my primary fill-up place. Guess I'll need to use up all those speedy rewards points. I'll probably be stopping in once a week so I can try to keep posting that Meijer and save you some gas. FYI the Mejier off of E Saginaw and 69 was $1.47 today. I couldn't post it since that location didn't populate when I tried to add it to my favorites. Only had it about a month now but I really like the Silverado. I started to read into E85 when I read the HP increases 21 to 376 and torque up 33 to 416 in the new engines! Sounds kinda cool if you were gonna tow something to have that extra power without other mods. It has a fuel sensor to determine exact percentage of ethanol and adjust the engine tuning accordingly. Sorry dont wanna get too off-topic. But if my reseach is correct ethanol has a higher octane, burns cooler, and should keep my engine cleaner? Fisrt couple tankfulls and I'm down only about 12% in mileage. I've read others are at about 15% with the Silverado. I can get used to this.

I remember checking on that Meijer every day until it opened back in 2012... I was excited to see it open. I live in Haslett, so you know I'm swamped if I don't post the price for the Bath/EL Meijer (Bath, EL, Haslett, Meridian Township, Ingham County, Clinton County... it's one of each).

Yes, E85 is fantastic for horsepower. It kind of put fuel on the fire when I decided to go for my Charger. The Charger loves it, and it is a fantastic car for E85.

Pure ethanol has upwards of 110 octane. When mixed with denaturant to be E85, E85 typically has between 94 and 100 octane depending on ethanol content. And it's cheaper than premium too! E85 does indeed burn cooler.

One of my favorite things about ethanol is that it does not have many of the impurities that you find in gasoline. I know exactly what's in it, where it originates, and how my car runs on it. I question all these additives (STP with Marathon, Invigorate with BP, Shell Nitrogen, Citgo Tri-clean, etc), and I have no way of knowing if they're actually in the gasoline. Let me know if you got some time coming up, I'd be happy to get you caught up to speed.

post-2293-0-17295900-1421807224_thumb.jpg

I'm not a mechanic, so don't quote me on this one. Since E85/Ethanol doesn't have most of the impurities that gasoline has, this is at least a large part of why E85 burns cooler in the car. I believe it also keeps the parts cleaner for a longer time.

Since gasoline is full of what are called "IMpurities", I get kind of anal about calling E0/Ethanol Free "pure gasoline".

Providing a bit of an update here.

mjsilverado, in response to your post, the spread is now down to a quarter a gallon. Could be worse, but could be a whole lot better.

Meijer has announced the locations where new stores are slated to open in 2015. I've mentioned in another post how two of these are in northern lower Michigan. The stores in Manistee and Alpena will be filling in MAJOR gaps in E85 availability, and bring it to folks who previously did not have any E85 anywhere near them.

Also big in the news department is that Meijer is expanding into Wisconsin this year. 2 stores are slated to open at the beginning of the summer there, and two more are slated to open later this summer. 4 additional stores are scheduled for 2016 openings in the badger state.

Meijer has three additional locations that are listed to be opening in 2015, but without opening months listed. Due to almost nil spotter coverage in northern Michigan, I have too little information to go on regarding the Acme Township store, being built on the northeast side of Grand Traverse Bay. However, I'm under the assumption that this store is on schedule. I do know that they have had some legal trouble regarding the contractor polluting the Acme creek (behind the site) with soot.

The store located in Detroit also appears to be on schedule. I have seen pictures posted of it, and I am tempted to go check it out myself tonight. This store is a major milestone for Meijer in that it is the first big box retailer to open a location so close to the downtown heart of the motor city. This is two years after Meijer opens the store located on 8 Mile Road at the former site of the Michigan state fairgrounds. The downtown location is built on the former site of Redford High School. Demolition has long since been complete, and construction of the store is underway. I will attach a picture that someone has posted of the price sign at the fuel station. Now I may be getting old, but I'm pretty sure these newfangled contact gizmos I place in my eyes daily are showing me E85 on the price sign. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Alpena, Manistee, and Acme Township are all WELL out of my way, but I am considering checking these stores out once I receive word that they have opened. Manistee and Alpena should be open next month (the fuel stations always open a month before the grocery store does). We are also receiving two new locations in northwest Illinois. Jeepn30, if I recall correctly, both Machesney Park and Rockford are right by you, so if you could keep us apprised, it would be appreciated!

I will add the stations and post the details on the forums once I have the station information.

post-2293-0-24279400-1427228787_thumb.jpg

post-2293-0-94652100-1427228797_thumb.jpg

post-2293-0-59801900-1427228806_thumb.jpg

I'm at a loss for words at how Meijer is expanding. I have to admit I personally have mixed feelings about it. As I've mentioned, Meijer is expanding into Wisconsin for the first time, and I have just learned that they plan expansion into the Upper Peninsula of Michigan! This would be a huge deal for E85.

The reason my feelings are mixed is because Meijer is a large corporation. Outside of their typical coverage area from lower Michigan to the south, many smaller chains exist such as Woodmans in Illinois and Wisconsin, ShopKo in the Upper Peninsula, and Glen's in northern lower Michigan. I do all of my pharmacy business with Meijer, because they have made a solid commitment to E85. None of these smaller chains have.

Nonetheless, here is a news story about Meijer's expansion.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2015/05/meijers_long-awaited_expansion.html