gasisoutrageous

Meijer Discussion

The Acme location is right on M-72, which is the main route from 75 to TC... definitely well enough traveled and close to US-31, the main route up the Lake Michigan coast.

That said, with your second point, not to put too fine of a point on it - but I wouldn't hold my breath for that to happen. Except for the Speedway in Cadillac and the one in Cheboygan, Meijer is the only game in northern lower Michigan, north of the 45th parallel. Whatever the going price is for E85 at Meijer stores in Michigan, which is $2.79 last I knew (in stores outside of the Grand Rapids and Lansing markets), you can usually expect to add 10 cents to get the price that Meijer is selling E85 for at its northern Michigan locations. We've seen how competition drives down prices. That's not new. Heck, here in Lansing, we went from a Shell and a Meijer in 2006, to those stations along with 3 Speedways, 2 more Meijer stations, 2 new Marathon locations, and H&H Mobil. Once we see the market in northern lower become a bit more saturated, then we can expect prices for E85 up there to be competitive.

I went up to Midland to spend time with the dad Friday night, and of course ran my usual route for a price run in the Flint region. Anyways, I bring this up because I noticed something interesting... Meijer is now keeping a fixed price spread at all of their stores.

Yes, the stores in Flint, Davison, Birch Run, Saginaw, and Midland, all had price spreads of 50 cents. With Speedway becoming such a significant player in Michigan, both Kroger and Meijer have been forced to compete. For any of our users in Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, or Illinois, can you check out the pricing at your local Meijer when you get a chance? I'm curious if they're doing this in other markets.

In the Grand Rapids and Lansing markets, all Meijer E85 locations have a 70 cent spread. Here's what really surprised me: the Meijer in Swartz Creek dropped the price big time. Thanks to the yellow hose BP across the freeway, now Meijer has an 80 cent spread there!

To boot, the Beacon and Bridge in Swartz Creek is also competing... and they had their price at $2.479 when I was there Friday night. Thanks to that, the Shell in Grand Blanc, about 3 miles east on Grand Blanc Road, had E85 at $2.599. I also saw someone filling with E85 in their Chevy Silverado... the first time I've seen anyone filling there.

post-2293-0-95617600-1414344929_thumb.jpg

post-2293-0-05678300-1414344964_thumb.jpg

post-2293-0-87058500-1414344980_thumb.jpg

post-2293-0-33703200-1414344994_thumb.jpg

post-2293-0-71765100-1414345005_thumb.jpg

Correction - the Davison store is in lock step with Speedway, so they had a 70 cent spread.

Speaking of Meijer, there is fierce competition between the west Saginaw Meijer and the west Saginaw Speedway in Lansing. First of all, they are less than a mile apart.

What's odd is that it seems like Speedway sometimes forgets that store #2213 sells E85... and they sometimes have funky price spreads there. Since gasoline hiked to $3.19, this Speedway kept E85 at $2.25. So both the Meijer and the Speedway had E85 at $2.259 and gasoline at $3.199. Worked out nicely for me!

Digging this one back up to provide an update.

Meijer has now dropped price spreads at their stores in the Lansing and Grand Rapids markets from 50 cents/gallon down to 40 today. This after having reduced the price spread between E85 and and regular from 70 cents to 50 cents earlier this month.

Elsewhere in the state, to my knowledge, their price spreads remain at 10 cents/gallon in competition with Speedway.

I have some updates on some new Meijer stores:

-When I was down in Monroe at the end of last month, I drove up to the SE Michigan town of Flat Rock. There is zero sign of the Meijer - so this is not one that will open in 2015 as a new E85 addition.

-I have learned that Meijer is building a store in the quiet northeast Michigan town of Alpena! This fills in a gargantuan gap, and makes it so that drivers don't have to drive all the way to Gaylord to get E85.

-We are also getting a store in Manistee as far as I know, just southwest of Traverse City.

-I believe the Acme store remains on track, just northeast of Traverse City.

-I have just learned of an additional new store being built in downtown Detroit. I am unsure of the details on this one, but it appears to be scheduled to open next spring. I will keep you all updated.

Thanks for update. Right now, it's like all sellers of E-85 in WIS except two last groups, are first lowering their gas, and for a couple days the E-85 is a couple cents more, then they realize it and "match" the E-85 to the regular.

I am still blending to my 40% or so, and I always check to see if people are buying any E-85 at all. I still can see that on the pumps, there was a prior big fill up made, but I have no idea of how long ago it was.

Send that 40 cent spread west across lake Michigan Aaron!

Edited by Steve-O

If only some retailers out to my east could realize their spread went negative. I've been updating you all on the Speedy Q in Lapeer, and now the Shell in Holly as well. I hope to be going on a price run this weekend.

So Steve, I've been meaning to ask you, is 40 your favorite number? :P

Stay tuned for that spread to potentially come over that way. We will be seeing some Meijer stores opening up in Wisconsin in 2015. If you get a chance to check any of the sites out, please don't falter to keep us updated.

Wow, I was not aware that Meijer had it THIS bad. I got to Swartz Creek last night, and aborted a Flint price run because I was so tired. I was about to get back on I-69 west to Lansing when I noticed this spread.

post-2293-0-74518500-1420489383_thumb.jpg

I'm new to using e85 with the purchase of a new truck. I didn't know Carbon Green Bioenergy existed... Any idea on why the price is higher when the Lansing area Meijers I fill up at are 40 cents less. Do you know where those Meijer stations get their e85?