gasisoutrageous

Meijer Discussion

So I thought I would start this topic about a long-since established player in Midwestern E85, who refuses to keep up with the times.

Here's what I have been told about them:

Meijer only cares about driving customers into the grocery stores. This is the primary reason they have retail fuel outlets. They don't feel that offering E85 at competitive, or at least reasonable, prices would help them achieve this goal. I think we can all agree that's nonsense. They've lost a foothold in the Grand Rapids, Lansing, and Detroit markets. Before too long, they will be outsold. I really hope Meijer turns around soon.

That all being said, I found a new location in Danville, IL today.

What makes no sense about that to me is that if they did put a decent price on all fuels, they would still draw more customers in.  I'd be more likely to go over and fill my 200 with them if my local store carried it and had it at a good spread, even if it was only $.70 vs Speedway's current $.80 as it would be cheaper for me when factoring in drive distance in time since that Meijer is right by work.

A couple of problems with that... the employees at the fuel stations do not actually set the prices. Corporate does that. They send the fuel prices to the station, and any decision to act differently (other than approving the prices and changing them at the pumps) has to be approved by corporate. The employees have no say. As someone who worked at a Speedway station, I can say that we had A LOT of people complain about the price of fuel. Also, the grocery store is completely separate from the fuel station.

A couple of problems with that... the employees at the fuel stations do not actually set the prices. Corporate does that. They send the fuel prices to the station, and any decision to act differently (other than approving the prices and changing them at the pumps) has to be approved by corporate. The employees have no say. As someone who worked at a Speedway station, I can say that we had A LOT of people complain about the price of fuel. Also, the grocery store is completely separate from the fuel station.

Just a joke Aaron..  it's what you feel like doing ..of course you wont really do it ..

If anyone does though please share how it felt  ;D

You Guys should load up a Cart full of groceries..tell them you are also going to fill up with E85 then say ..wait a second you E85 is how much ?  and then walk out  ;D

Seriously...  a GREAT idea...  maybe if enough people do this, a message may make it up the management ladder to the folks that do set the prices...

And the same day I write that post, we have some playing field changes. Meijer dropped their price at the EL/Bath location (and presumably elsewhere in the state) to $2.89/gallon. West Saginaw location is down to $2.69! This may force Blodgett in Lansing down as well. This time last year, Meijer was up at $3.39/gallon... $3.55 a month or so before.