Sign in to follow this  
HuskerFlex

Storing e85?

I know we've discussed this at one point or another.... but how long can you store e85?  What containers are best for sealing it?

I'm looking to keep 10-20 gallons on hand for emergency purposes...  I could always "rotate the fuel"... using the oldest first, and simply filling it.

Thought it would be good to have on hand for any "emergencies", or simply if there were short term price spikes...

I have some 200 proof stored for about 3 years now in a sealed

aluminum 1 quart sample bottle- it is only just now losing it's sweet fresh odor-remember that ethanol is reputed to corrode aluminum. That same bottle has been in used holding E100 for 9 years- inside and out it looks brand new. Point is the only secret to safely storing ethanol is maintaining seal. Several racers I know even use plastic drums and though they may have some air space in them- will store from fall thru the winter and into the next spring so they can always have E85 summer blend on hand. Best to keep where temp is either constant or dry and cool. I have used the Blitz red 5 gal plastic gas jugs for several years- mine were bought when the jugs were unvented and the screw on black solid pour tube was without a rubber seal. This style jug lid seals merely by compression fit of plastic to plastic and will not degrade or lose seal.

The only way to wreck ethanol is to allow it long term access to air with moisture present. One moisture gets into the ethanol then acid will begin to form.

Personally I find that E85 stores better than gasoline because provided seal is maintained the only part that can degrade is the gasoline component (gasoline has so many chemicals that can react with each other-trying to return to a more stable oxidized state). On the other hand- ethanol is a single simple relatively stable compound.

As I always tell people, it's the gas that goes to crap, not the ethanol.  Ethanol will be ethanol forever under normal conditions.  If you really want a 'store and forget' solution, I would search for the highest ethanol content possible.  E98 or even just denatured ethanol.  In a sealed container, that should keep virtually forever.  You can then blend it back with a little fresh gasoline as needed.

Outlaw/Corey...

What do you think of those heavy duty Jerrycans...  with that heavy duty cam with a seal on the lid...  does it look like it would be sealed well enough?

As for storing 3 5 gallon jerry cans of of e85 in the garage...  would this be considered too dangerous?  (fire hazard wise)...  I live in a standard cooky-cutter suburban home with a modest sized 2 door garage.

I've heard people say that ethanol is much safer to store then gas as the fumes are much less of an issue, especially if sealed well...

back to the "what color for e85..."... ;)

Red= gas

yellow=diesel

blue=kerosene (I believe?)...

Personally I like the idea of yellow... just might put a bold blue "e85" stencil on the side.

I have a garden shed I keep mine in-others cover with tarp in shade. Always best to store any fuel away from open flame, potential spark, etc. Vehicles in a garage are always a potential source of fire and stored or spilled fuel adds to the risk. On the other hand though just think  of the spilled fuel at gas stations and try to remember the last fire.

I like the cans shown- check into the seal type on the lid. Also to avoid corrosion from concrete (a base) reacting with the steel or scratching off the paint-I would consider setting them on a board.

I normally take three red jerry plastic "cans" to the closest E85 pump when I "fill-up".  I never have had an issue with storage of E85 in these cans.  These are stored inside my one car garage near the garage door that doesn't seal completely.

As for the link to these yellow jerry cans, why does the EPA not allow shipment to certain states? ???