Sign in to follow this  
cessna

Absolute ignorance

I asked why Ford suggests running a tank of gasoline before every oil change if E85 is the main fuel over on the Focus Fanatics forum. I can't think of a reason other than to "exercise" the computer. Here are a couple of answers that I find interesting. I'm afraid Big Oil is going to win.

That may be another reason for running gasoline every so often, just to pull moisture out of the fuel system.

What I always understood was, because of the chemical makeup of ethanol, sediments and deposits will settle at the bottom of the tank instead of being pulled up into the filter. Running gasoline 'cleans' the fuel system. May also have to do with just keeping all of the components in good shape since ethanol is extremely corrosive when mixed with gasoline. And guess what E85 is? (Or rather, E70 right now in the winter blends). Ethanol mixed with gasoline!

For now, oil has a death grip on these things, but they're not going to win everything in the long run. E85 burns cooler, so I wouldn't buy "gasoline cleaning out my system". This shouldn't be a big surprise... I was told negative things about E85 by the ford dealership I dealt with not too long ago, as did my manager (who by the way bought a flex fuel F150 to appease me). One fight at a time. Can't all be won at once.

I know my Ford and Chrysler both recommend running one tank of gas every 3k miles (oil change)...  but I also can't see any reasoning for this.  Only reason I see is to plant seeds of doubt in people's minds that ethanol really isn't ALL THAT GOOD for your engine... (total lie, actually it is the gas that will cause more long term damage!)

This is one recommendation I've totally ignored. 

Almost 5 years now on the Chrysler mini-van.

Outlaw with his experience at the ethanol plant with company cars (Tauri and Impalas) should be one of the experts on this.

There is only 1 possible reason for this- improper gasoline additives still linger in a few markets. Understand this- THE ONLY ADDITIVE ETHANOL NEEDS IS THE CORROSION INHIBITOR WHICH IS IN EVERY GALLON OF ETHANOL IN THE USA!!!!. The problem additives are made for gasoline to control deposits and other problems gasoline has- the oil industry and additive industry could give a rat that there are a few (not most) of these additives still used in gas that if used in high ethanol concentrations will on RARE occasions build up on fuel injectors after a lot of miles. It will look like black snot and running a tank of E0 or E10 will clean it right off. Please note- I sold millions of gallons of E85 without one complaint or issue with this- but I used natural gasoline without additives to make the 15-30% hydrocarbon portion. I followed/participated on many E85 racing/performance websites at one point- these guys would tune high performance engines for E85 and could not put in gas easily without dropping octane too far or going rich on high octane race gas unless they modified their tune. Here is where the rare issue would show up- it was maybe 5-8 racers a year would post pics and ask what it is. It was limited to certain geographic areas where some fuel jobber was using a gasoline for blending E85 with the wrong additive in it. One more reason for ethanol plants to sponsor stations and blend it with natural gasoline.

I remembered there is a Ford person to ask questions on the Focus Fanatics forum. Here is the response I got back about running a tank of regular at every oil change. I don't think I'll be doing it unless I go somewhere and can't get E85.

According to my technical subject matter expert,this is recommended to help maintain the fuel system. It works like a flush through the fuel system. It also allows the PCM to see a tank of regular fuel as a way to check that all of its sensors are working correctly.

Today I asked a second question and got another response.

Todd, Thanks for the reply. I have another question. Most are using

regular so how come there isn't a system flush/ sensor check recommended

for that fuel? Seems that would be necessary also.

I'm unable to answer this question. I recommend speaking with your

service manager regarding these specifics.