Sign in to follow this  
gasisoutrageous

Ethanol plant adds retail fuel outlet - Lake Odessa, MI

So the ethanol plant nearest to me, Carbon Green BioEnergy, is adding a fuel outlet that is open to the public. They will carry the standard E10, along with E15, E30, and E85 (so there will be blender pumps). Called and confirmed (make sure to add the phone number Dan!). Had this one pm'd to me.

VERY cool. 

You would like to think that EVERY ethanol plant would be doing this...  sad to think of all the employees that are driving to work using gasoline...  what better way to have the quality of the product spoken for, then to have the folks that produce it proudly using it and raving to everyone and their dog (if their dog also has a FFV) of the merits of the fuel.

While Lansing and Grand Rapids have a relatively high concentration of E85 stations, the area between them is a bit sparsely populated with E85 retailers. If I can hold off on fueling up until Saturday, I might go check out this station.

I've tried to talk to managers and management of various stations to get them to post their own prices regularly on here... sort of free advertising...  nope, none have ever done this.

They seem to have the idea that prices are akin trade secrets to be closely guarded...  never really understood this mentality.

Well, can't hurt to try and talk to them. The woman over the phone seemed to be quite pleasant. They don't like to post their prices because the person looking might be a competitor. Not saying I agree with it either, and posting them could be a good way to attract drivers to your station.

I know that the fear of competitors spotting this price is why they don't posts... but it is not like they don't already post it up on a large sign out by the road/on the canopy for everyone to see anyways...

If this is a locally owned ethanol owned station (not a gas station that sells ethanol)... they may be more open to the idea of non-traditional marketing and advertising...

Let us know how it goes!

So I found who appears to be a worker at this plant on Twitter, looking through E85 tweets. Come to find out, it appears as though Carbon Green BioEnergy, the ethanol plant itself, has a deal with over a dozen west/central Michigan locations, where E85 will constantly be fixed at $1 below regular for 6 months (this was from when the tweet was tweeted, at the beginning of the month)! This includes all J&H oil locations in Michigan (that sell E85), as well as Freeport Milling in Freeport, and Petersen Oil in Greenville, MI. He is already posting, under the username Michigan Made. Hats off to him and Carbon Green BioEnergy!