Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

ISU study: Investment in E85 could be cheaper than purchasing ethanol credits

I'm in the same boat... Maybe could replace one with a FFV but that would require a loan which is hard to justify when you don't have one and your cars do quite well on a higher blend. That's why I perpetually follow the FFV new car scene, knowing the 2006 could possibly need replacement at any time!

Used to have at least an E-20 blender in town, but now that it's just E-85 I have finally found a way to blend more accurately. I sacrifice filling the tanks full, but achieve consistency.

I let both cars run low enough that I can fit 12 gallons in every time. Then it's always exactly 5 gals of E-85 and 8  of E-10 yielding a consistent E-41.3, assuming summer time and normal E-85 alcohol content. I may be running less in winter due to the lesser alcohol in the e-85 but probably won't adjust this ratio again.

I am a slow learner, only been doing this for like years now, and just winging it for blending without much thought, always just an educated guess :)

Heh, I waited until fuel was at 1/4 tank and put in 4 gallons of E85 without any Gasoline. When I told my Mother she started to get nervous and talk about mechanical problems and the anti-Ethanol ad campaign, which I had told her previously. Needless to say, I checked the math and it was only ~40% Ethanol. I'll check it again later as a precaution.

I do not believe the average person would be comfortable doing this. My Father of all people would never do anything besides pump as much regular as he needs and go. Even as easy as it is to blend E85 with some Regular, most people wouldn't be able to do it without some hand holding.

splash blending is NOT for anyone but us true believers.  I've tried talking to family, friends, neighbors and co-workers...  they either laugh thinking I'm joking, or roll their eyes thinking "glad he's not doing that to MY car"... 

seriously you would think I was advocating putting water in the tank, or driving with only 3 wheels on...  they have been so convinced by the decades of propoganda

when people start complaining about the lack of "ethanol free gas"..., I like to look at them right in the eye and say "you think that is bad, just try to find ONE place where I can legally buy 'gas free ethanol'..." 

By law all blenders are required to blend 15-30% gasoline with it at the least.  I too would gladly buy e100 if they would sell it to me.  Sure I know it would come with other drawbacks (further reduced mileage, startability issues in cold weather...) but I would rather deal with these issues, then live with the issues that comes with the government mandated gasoline content in my otherwise clean, domestic, local ethanol.