Sign in to follow this  
Billyk24

31.8 mpg on E85 driving Ohio Turnpike

Sad part is, if you had an engine built FOR E85, not crap-o-lene, you'd get the 32mpg AND have around 400hp if you decide to put your foot into it.  Or you could probably easily be in the 35-40mpg range if you could stand to have a measly 200-250hp.  :)

My engine is not optimized for E85.  I keep waiting for some of these engine builders/modifiers to post mpg figures with their vehicles.  FYI my vehicle has a posted peak of 155 HP that combines the ICE and hybrid components.  Vehicle comes in around 3800lbs.

I managed 27 MPG on a 150 mile interstate round trip the other day from St Cloud MN to Minneapolis and Back.. 70 ish mph

Anything above 75 and it drops to 24 MPG..  Loves 60 mph ..I get right at 30 mpg then..of course you cant do 60 on the interstate and piss everyone else off

My 200 got a best of 25mpg on the drive home to suburban Chicago from Road America on E85 with Dad and I in it, and neither one of us can be accused of being underfed.

Well, I can tell you my car has averaged 27mpg over the past 35,000 miles...summer, winter, town, highway, etc all figured in.  I tracked 17 of the same model car listed on fuelly.com.  They averaged 26.7mpg on gasoline over a total of 350,000 miles.  Though, I would wager I drive a bit harder than they do. 

If (and that is a big IF)...if I can drive gently and stay at 60mph, I've had a few full tanks average right at 29mpg.  I've had a few partial fills up in the 32-33mpg range over 150-200 miles - though in that instance, the volume of fuel becomes very critical  ie 0.1 gallon is +/- 0.5mpg.

On the power side, I have not been to a dyno, though I do know of at least one guy who built an engine very similar to mine, except he used a 3mm SMALLER turbo.  He dynoed 512HP, 380ish torque at the wheels.  The factory stock rating is 200hp at the crank and about 175 at the wheels.

I would guess I don't have my engine in that state of tune, but it does show what can be done with an engine actually built and tuned for E85.  Gentle cruising 60mph/30mpg AND 400+hp should be no problem.  Tune the thing down to the 150 hp range and I can see no reason why E85 shouldn't get very close to 40mpg in light cruising.