Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

30 Miles IN the City on E85 .. 20K and Under

Yeah we talked about the 2003 Prius test ..geez ..4 years ago or so !.. and agree it would make  a great City MPG car..but...

For the Wife .. We've had the 2009 HHR for 3 years or so now and she is ready to trade .. has to have high City MPG , run on E85  and be something she likes of course....

And that's really the issue.. cant find anything she "really" likes.  We haven't looked at the Prius since spring..so guess I need to drive her around the lot again

There aren't many non-hybrids that can get 30 mpg city. None that are factory FFV. Even the Focus is more of a highway car and very compact on the inside.

If you do show her a Prius you might try showing her the second generation(MY2004-2009) then showing her the third(that's the one you want). The first generation was not very good. The 2010 had some key improvements she might like. It's still not very fast but Prius owners swear by them. They're fantastic machines.

I recall the Toyota CEO slamming E85 last year and that left a bad taste in my mouth.. I was originally looking at the Prius C ..and add the Kit to it ..wife didn't care for it anyways..

But check this out..

On a side note, given all the computer controls of the Hybrid Synergy Drive, we were surprised to find during fill-up that the engine can't accommodate higher ethanol blends such as E85. When we queried Toyota's engineers about this omission, they pointed out that E85 fuel has much less energy density and would require a new fuel delivery system that could accommodate the necessary increase in fuel volume. They added that E85 is very corrosive and would require a reworking of the engine's intake system and a complete reprogramming of the engine ECU to handle the new fuel delivery requirements. "At this point, we feel that the rewards of using E85 are not large enough to warrant the increase in cost to the Prius to add this equipment," they concluded.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/alternative/1203_2012_toyota_prius_c_takes_on_the_high_sierras/#ixzz2dt5lJAou

So...  If Toyota is such a big "global brand"...  how could this be if they don't sell cars in Brazil?  Can you even sell a car in Brazil that is not flex fuel...  according to the "gass-holes" in this country, even their BASE fuel (e20-25) should be ruining engines!

So...  If Toyota is such a big "global brand"...  how could this be if they don't sell cars in Brazil?  Can you even sell a car in Brazil that is not flex fuel...  according to the "gass-holes" in this country, even their BASE fuel (e20-25) should be ruining engines!

Toyota Just introduced the Prius in Brazil BUT... BUT will only run on Brazils Base fuel.. E25 .. will NOT..NOT  run on E85-E100 like 90% of all the other vehicles produced for Brazil

Their whole attitude towards high blend ethanol..turned me off the Prius.. which I really really do think would be perfect otherwise

I've known a few people from Brazil, and they take their ethanol seriously... it's use is seen as a form of patriotism/nationalism in a way... the more you use, the more you love your country...  the less you use... well it brings your patriotism into question...  8)

Not far off from the way WE (on this board) think here...

Imagine that... folks like US would be considered NORMAL in Brazil! ;)

I know the feeling. Domestics are using E85 so they can keep building gas guzzlers. Foreign companies make vehicles that would be great for E85. Then denounce E85 while selling Flexfuel engines in Brazil or Europe.

I'm not a brand loyalist anymore because none of the brands are on my side. Cars are like commodities, find one that meets your requirements the most and if it needs some minor changes so be it.