Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

30 Miles IN the City on E85 .. 20K and Under

Ok so there are no FFVs that get 30 City yet...so which Hybrid or Smaller Car that could get in that 30 City range with a Kit and running FULL E85..

I keep going round and round .. The Ford Focus FFV should get around 23 -24 range in the City .. but 30 is really the key number

Johnny Energy.. you have an numbers from Kits you have sold on Hybrids?

My 05 Escape Hybrid has a "Jonny Energy" kit.  I sometimes get over 30 mpg on the highway (a slow 60 mph)  and the city on E85.  Of course mpg "figures" depends upon a variety of items including who is driving.  An optimized E85 engine should get better mileage.

I have read a few examples of people running E85 in Honda hybrids. Usually involving a turbo or supercharger

There was a study done with a Toyota Prius where it made far more power on E85. They didn't convert it. They gradually increased the Ethanol percentage over time.

The only way to get 30+ in city stop'n go driving is with a hybrid or a vehicle with stop'n start technology. Like Billy, I've seen 30+ city and on 55 mph hiways with a tail wind.

I don't think that would be possible in my area without an optimised engine........attached to a hybrid system of some sort.  A pure electric would be better, but I just don't fit well in the Volt or Leaf (too fat and I don't have any interest in the latter either) and I couldn't afford the Volt let alone the Tesla with the big battery.

Yup that's it! The Prius would make a great Flexfuel because with it's high static compression and VVT-i the ECU has more room to compensates for fuel octane by adjusting valve timing. Unfortunately, Toyota wants the AT-PZEV certification so we're not going to see a factory flexfuel version without a mandate.

There are aftermarket kits. It's been done for years. So there is plenty of precedent. I mean, the Prius has become the ubiquitous symbol of high fuel economy. What would make a better rolling test bed for E85? The turbocharged E85 examples have been overdone at this point. The Prius is naturally aspirated.