Sign in to follow this  
jeepn30

Threw a p0206 code in my Caravan today...

The Mrs. was about to leave the house today the same time I was going to work.  She flagged me over and said the CEL came on, and the van started rough.  When I came home from work today, it started a little rough. The CEL was still there, so I grabbed my bluetooth obdII adapter, and ran the free version of torque on my smartphone.  It came up with code p0206, cylinder injector 6 circuit malfunction.  I have a FFI kit that was purchased a little more than 2 years ago on it, and installed at true family auto in Melrose Park, IL (one of Jonny Energy's installers, as I didn't feel comfortable removing the plenum at the time). I've had about 30,000 miles so far of pretty much problem free use.  I had also filled up with E85 at a station that I had never used before that had 1 pump at the back of the gas station with a diesel pump (they probably don't sell much E85 there, I feel).  I had about 3/4 tank left, and went to the e85 station closest to the home to top it off (one that I at least trust).  It seemed to start and run ok.  It seemed to run ok after the initial rough start to the gas station, about 6 miles away.

Is there a chance the fuel could be the problem here?  My van is under warranty, but would have to remove the kit.  I would imagine if it's not the fuel, that it could be a faulty injector, or a short in the wiring or wiring plugs or something of that nature...

If you haven't cleared the code, please do it.  Putting some fuel in from a different vendor is the next step before letting the vehicle operate.  Time will tell whether it is a fuel quality or hardware issue.

P0201-0212 Injector circuit malfunction

I have never seen these error codes set due to fuel itself.

Only set for circuit issues: factory harness, injector(connector, open or shorted), or adapter box.

It will cause the ECU to go OPEN loop. If the injector is firing as it should, it could be the ECU is not happy with the load "seen" by the ECU, which could be an adapter box issue. Troubleshooting is required.

P0301-0312 cylinder misfire.

I have seen these for ignition or injector issues.(Clogged, stuck...), adapter box set too lean.

Clear the error code.

Start up

If it is set right as soon as it cranks or starts.

I believe it is a circuit issue.

I concur with 'warrior - this is a 'circuit' code which generally means something on the electrical side.  If it was a 'misfire' code, that might indicate something on the fuel / physical injector side.

Basically, the computer saw a resistance (open or shorted) in the circuit it didn't like.  I'd give all the connectors you can get to a 'jiggle' ...unplug them, plug them back in, make sure they're plugged in tight, etc.  Reset the code and see if it comes back. 

If it immediately comes back, that would generally mean something has died.  Injector itself, a driver in the ECU or the add on box.  If it takes a while for the code to come back, that might mean something intermittent.... a loose / corroded connection, wire which is loose, etc.  If the code doesn't come back, it could have been a transient condition... momentary power surge, brief loss of contact between connectors, cosmic ray zipping through the ECU, etc.

Well, the CEL was on right away when I started the van up when I got home from work tonight.  Had 1 hard "shimmy" when it started, but then seemed normal.  I took it out for some decent highway driving, about 45 miles worth.  It seemed like it drove like normal.  I was getting about 24mpg, which is about what I normally get for highway mpg on E85 (no wind tonight for the van to buck against).  When I put it in park, the CEL went out.  I then started it up a minute later, with no CEL.  I will be keeping an eye out on this for a while here.  Will probably take it for another good drive tomorrow night after work.  Maybe if something was loose, it wiggled back into place.  The only thing with the chrysler engines is that the fuel injector plugs are not exposed, as the plenum must be removed to get to them.  Otherwise I would be checking connections immediately. 

I try to use dielectric grease on all "snap-together" electrical connections that I can.  I think it helps keep moisture away from the connectors and the eventual corrosion that can cause weird things like this.

I learned this trick years ago from a mechanic friend, it might be outdated practice now, but I think it still helps.

It's still a good idea, I do it on my R/C cars that I know will see water for the battery to speed contol as well as speed control to motor connections.

I had to jiggle the wires on my son's Powerwheels Jeep last night. It had no reverse or low speed. the conections were tight and didn't appear to be corroded. Everyhting works fine after the jiggle.

With industrial equipment at work, we get goofy errors and all the trouble shooting comes up unfounded. So the next hing to do is pull the boards and look for arcing or bulged components. Too often nothing is found and when you pull and reinstall all connections, everything works just fine again.

Well, the code came back on today when I was driving my boys home from school....it was shakin' pretty good at times on the way home.  Now I know I will have to find a way to get to the connectors to take a look.  It seems like it's either running fine, or really rough, and no in between.  I filled up at my normal E85 station this time, so I really don't think the fuel is in play.