Sign in to follow this  
BigGreen

E85 in 1999 GMC Jimmy (Chevrolet Blazer/Oldsmobile Bravada)

Yes, the American market sure has an identity problem.

So, the 1999 GM product got E85 for the first time. The low fuel light came on. It supposedly has a 18 gallon tank, I was able to squeeze 13.2 gallon in it. Really?

So I gave it 6 gallon of E85 and topped off with the bad stuff. Now get this:

I got on the highway and about 10 minutes later the check engine light came on (vehicle is in top mechanical condition, no pending nor active codes). So I went home and did the readout, just to assure myself: Yes, 2 lean codes for both banks. Why I don't know. There is no way that the E85 could have made it into the engine yet. I think. I drove 8 miles!

I reset the CEL (Check Engine Light) and drove city traffic for 2 days. No lights, but the codes were pending again.

Another 2 days later, I wanted to clear the pending codes, guess what: None. Now the CEL will go off once whatever it detected goes back into the clear area, I saw it so many times.

But that a pending code disappears? I always thought they keep pending till, well, I guess someone clears them. Guess not.

Next week I will take it on a long run and probably see what is happening. Am planning on driving the vehicle with this mixture 1 or 2 tanks, maybe increase it, I guess then I will have to change the fuel filter, once it washed out all the nasty stuff.

Greetings!