Sign in to follow this  
gasisoutrageous

New goal... hoping to keep my car for 10 years

So with all this criticism I've been receiving from those adverse to ethanol, I've been thinking about an ambitious goal. I want to prove to everyone that has told me that ethanol ruins the engine (even though it's designed to be able to handle it!) that all these years went by... and not a single problem has happened with my car (that can be attributed to the fuel). My car was (presumably) already 5 years old when I bought it... or at least 4.5 depending on when Chrysler made it.

Thoughts?

bumper stickers...

I like that.

When I had my sign on the door at the K&G "85cent e85" promotion that read "4 1/2 years... NO gasoline" it really got a lot of attention and started conversations.

I had the same thought.  Have a bumper sticker printed up that you put on the OUTSIDE of your rear window that stated "years of NO gasoline" and "thanks e85"  On the INSIDE of the window you could take simple and cheap sticker numbers from the hardware store (like for mailboxes or signs) and put them to the side of the sign.  When your car has another soberiety anniversary... you can simply switch out the number.

When I purchased my 2010 Ford Escape FFV (Brand New), I decided I was going to run E85 as much as I possibly could, unless the price spread got down to less than 10%.  That has probably happened less than 10 times.  It's ran predominently on E-85 for the last 3 years, and I plan on running the wheels off this little SUV as I have it set up just the way I want it.

The only problem I have had is that it sure likes to burn out the rear back turn signal a lot.  I'm pretty sure it's not related to E85, but some experts over on Gas Buddy have me starting to second guess myself. ;)

I won't own a non FFV car.  It's more about having options than anything else.  If Ford wants me to purchase another one of these in the future, they better make their EcoBoost engines Flex Fuel capable, or I'm going to be wearing the bow-tie in about 3 years when I go to replace my "BIG" truck. (a 1988 Ford F-250 Custom 460.. :) )

my 10 year old oldest boy, when we are out knows how to spot FFVs, and when doing is day dreaming about his "first car"... already knows that if it isn't a FFV, it isn't an option!

Teach'em young! ;D

I keep telling him to treat my '10 Fusion really nice, because THAT could be his car! ;)  "Keep those feet of the seats boy!"

Yeah I keep trying to get my 10 year old daughter interested. She just says

"Who cares about cars, Dad?"

"Why do you have to use two different gas pumps every time you go get gas, Dad?"

"E-85 must really be great gas, Dad."

I keep saying I am gonna get me a bumper sticker. Had them for awhile said "Support farm fields, not oil fields" Looking for a good basic E-85 one.

Like Billy's idea too :)

My son's first car is a 2006 Ford Focus ZX3.  It get's really good gas mileage, but it's not a FFV.  He knows I am a big FFV proponent, and now that he's buying his own gas, I see he's watching how much per gallon I am paying compared to what he has to.  I told him if he wants to get a converter for his car, I'd be more than willing to help him hook it up...

If I take any more trips pulling weight close to the maximum GVW again and do not have the ability to use E85, my truck may not last 10 years. Recently in the Black Hills of South Dakota, I pulled the trailer up some 3% to 7% grades with E85 and with E10. The E10 hills the engine temp would creep up to 235 and trans temp was up to 230. E85 temps were the normal 210 engine / 200 trans. With the lock up converter engaged on E85 I had less issues and with E10 the truck was lazy and I had to shift to a lower gear with the converter slipping creating excess heat. Even though these higher temps are still within operating range, they are getting close to the concern point. I told the caravan we were traveling with, I'm picking the route next time so I can get the good fuel!

Properly cared for and serviced, most vehicles will do 10 years and multiple hundreds of thousands of miles on gas.  E85 is a better, cleaner, more engine friendly fuel than gas, so I can't see where you would have a problem. 

The claim might seem surprising to the general public, but to those 'in the know' it's sort of like saying 'my factory car didn't rust through in 10 years' (gasoline) vs 'I gave my car the very best primer, paint and three layers of undercoating and it didn't rust through in 10 years' (E85).

Guess what i'm trying to say is longer life with a better fuel isn't too terribly surprising! :)