Sign in to follow this  
Allch Chcar

Mazda

I was curious about Mazda and FFVs so I emailed them about it and got some spiel about the new Skyactiv, which I'm very familiar with by now.

I was perusing their international website when I found one of their major initiatives from 2009 stating they were going to introduce FFVs to North America in March 2010! It looks a lot like a graphic designed for a meeting of shareholders or other important people. So I emailed them about that and got more crap about Skyactiv and how great it is. >:(

Anyway, here's the initiative. The E85 bit is on the top of page 4 but there's some other stuff about how they were going to embrace Hybrid cars and improve fuel efficiency by 30%. Which explains their recent reversal to supporting hybrids after shunning them. It was a planned move from the beginning!

1297_.pdf

Seems to me most people in the know in the automobile companies would love to make and certify the vehicles as FFV. For some reason in the USA they are not moving forward. Even KIA and Hyundai are doing FFVs in Brazil (Where their "gasolina" vehicles all run fine on E-20 or E-25 anyway.)

So what is stopping it here? Hybrid tech is way more expensive. But they still only supposedly can take E-10. So oil doesn't care. I suspect there are other pressures/incentives going on as to why we don't see basically everything from every manufacturer as an FFV.

Mazda really has something going for them with the Skyactiv technology. They have also experimented with regenerative breaking, which would capture some of the energy lost in braking and use it to recharge the battery. Their vehicles are remarkably fuel efficient. It could really take off if they began making flex fuel vehicles.

don't you LOVE  ::) the irony that it is the EPA  (what is that "I" suppose to stand for anyhow?) standing in the way of introducing technology that would allow masses of people (especially in congested poluted metro areas) to burn a MUCH cleaner fuel...

>:(

Now THOSE are some very well spent tax dollars.  Just imagine how much "MORE" they could "HELP" us if they had more...

Mazda really has something going for them with the Skyactiv technology.

like ford's "ecoboost"... both of these sound ideal for a prime FFV with much less of an ethanol penalty...  GRRR

Anyone had the chance to try strait e85 in either of these types of engines?  Just currios if they threw CELs or not.

don't you LOVE  ::) the irony that it is the EPA  (what is that "I" suppose to stand for anyhow?) standing in the way of introducing technology that would allow masses of people (especially in congested poluted metro areas) to burn a MUCH cleaner fuel...

>:(

Now THOSE are some very well spent tax dollars.  Just imagine how much "MORE" they could "HELP" us if they had more...

Kind of Catch 22.. without the EPAs push ethanol wouldn't be enjoying the success is is having..and at the same time.. the new emissions rules have added $300 sensor  to the cost of a FFV

Yeah thats the thing. The EPA knows that ethanol fuel is fine. In fact they defend and support it.

This is an example of too much red tape / too many rules so you have ultimately a lesser impactful rule (CEL required to distinguihs between fuel type) cancelling out a more impactful one (The more FFVs the better.)

James and Dan have cited sources that these engines have been designed to be FFVs from the get go. Yet a technicality is causing GM to deny this capability on the newer/ smaller stuff.

Attention EPA: It would probably better for the environment and the consumer to allow these FFVS to go through if GM agrees to badge them as such and warranty them as such, than to require the sensor.

Or all of us small car peeps could get a Focus and communicate to GM (AND Ford) that we bought one over a cruise because it's a certified FFV :)

could always go to a Mazda dealership, test drive one (that is nearly empty on gas), dupe them into letting me "borrow it" (which they do if they think you are going to buy)... fill er up on e85, and see what happens, then return it the next day "nope, I thought with a 14:1 compression ratio it would be FFV, I just can't have a vehicle that can't use ethanol" and walk off the lot. ;D