Sign in to follow this  
BJoe

E85 in Plymouth?!

Dad and I were at Road America Saturday and made the whole trip on E85, averaging 23.3mpg for the round trip.  We topped off in Plymouth on the way home and both the BP and Kwik Trip were selling E85 for $3.49 vs $3.69 for regular.  What gives?!

Hey BJoe... I am from Kwik Trip's home state. On initial impression they were behind E-85 from the start. But they have never been able to price it correctly! It was almost as if they wanted E-85 to fail. They decided from day one not to compete on it in any way shape or form.

And when there are very few stations in an area selling E-85, the other branded stations just match KT as opposed to using normal mark-ups that they may do for unleaded. I was quite worried when it looked for awhile that they may be the only place in my city selling it! Thank goodness that didn't happen.

Kwik Trip's initial foray into E-85 looked promising, but IMO they have dropped the ball big time. I once got an e-mail someone in their organization, he wanted to call me to talk about E-85. Gave him my contact info plus the info of a true subject matter expert,  but don't think either of us got a call back. Too bad, that may have been a good move for them to shed some valuable light on the subject of E-85 for their company.

As a company, they actually do alot of things EXTREMELY well, just that E-85 is not one of them.

That explain some of that then, I kinda figured it was because they both are about 10 miles from the track and were taking advantage of it being used as a cheap race gas.

Here in Lansing, the level of competition is relatively low, but not nil. The two Marathons in East Lansing are both owned by J&H Oil, and sell etoh at the exact same price. H&H Mobil usually competes with them. Meijer does their own thing, and the Shell competes with them. Thing is, Shell doesn't like to move their price often (which may explain why they still have their etoh price at $3.499). I will never buy it at Meijer unless I'm up north, where they're the only game in town.