Sign in to follow this  
Billyk24

Federal Government wants new fuels to cut down on carbon pollution

It's hard to say. When I'm bored, I like to check out the EPA Fuel Economy website. Mousing around, I find that a lot of flex fuel vehicles actually have slightly higher carbon emissions (maybe there's something I'm missing here?). For instance, my '08 Sebring puts out an additional 7 grams of CO2 per mile. The newer '13 Chrysler 200 puts out much less CO2 per mile. So looking at that aspect of it, it's hard for me to say. However, several other environmental factors are what have convinced me to use E85... fuel spills, etc.

post-2516-138947096809_thumb.jpg

The thing with the carbon dioxide is, the plants used to make the ethanol absorb carbon dioxide during their growth, negating that emitted by the cars.

So if you're actually concerned about carbon dioxide (I'm not in the least) that is good to know.

In actuality, I don't think carbon dioxide matters.  The earth has been very much warmer before, and seems to alternate.  In the long term, we're actually coming out of a cold cycle.

http://www.scotese.com/climate.htm

Like Gasisoutrageous mentioned, I'm more concerned with other factors, like carcinogenic emissions (higher with gas), engine life (longer with ethanol), spills (much worse with oil / gasoline), and socio-economic concerns (reducing dependence on the middle east) than I am about carbon dioxide.

I do subscribe to global warming, so I am personally concerned about CO2 emissions. That being said, interesting point about the plants used to make ethanol having absorbed some CO2 themselves, I hadn't thought of that.

Not my best example from the fuel economy site. Perhaps a better one is the Ford Focus FFV, which gets 20/28 mpg city/highway on E85, compared to the '13 200. Other than that, I had forgotten about that note on the bottom. So yeah, it appears as though most new ('13 and newer) vehicles have slightly lower emissions on E85.

post-2516-138947096827_thumb.jpg

gasisoutrageous- ethanol's carbon that is embedded in it's chemistry is indeed all carbon that is already in the carbon cycle taking place above ground. Furthermore many ethanol production facilities capture CO2 off of the fermentation tanks, clean it, refrigerate/compress it, and turn it into CO2 used in the soft drink or food industry (the plant I was at shipped it's CO2 to a nearby meat packing plant for use as fast cool dry ice). This new recycle of CO2 provided one more use of it before release and more importantly- displaced fossil based CO2 for this use. Of course the ethanol industry does still use a fair amount of nat gas and electricity so some new carbon is released from permanent sequester (like oil/nat gas use always does) but less than oil. It is possible to use the solubles from corn ethanol production to power the plant but then the industry would be somewhat guilty of converting feed to power. (I do not consider the current level of starch use for ethanol to impact feed supply since all other nutrients left over are more important and more limited than starch).

g Furthermore many ethanol production facilities capture CO2 off of the fermentation tanks, clean it, refrigerate/compress it, and turn it into CO2 used in the soft drink or food industry

I see POETS CO2 tankers a at least few times a Month run from North of St Cloud to Interstate 94..not sure which plant they are coming from / or if they are heading back after making a CO2 up North .

I thinks that's one byproduct that everyone forgets about