Sign in to follow this  
gasisoutrageous

Made my first pitch to a gas-using FFV owner

One addendum...although my logic may actually be counter productive to ethanol. But, I never buy E-85 at an oil branded station (And it isn't because none of those sell it in my area). But they have behaved badly in regards to E-85 when it isn't necessary that they act adversarily, they choose to.

Unless anyone has a better reason to disagree with me, even if you do E-10 when the spreads go low (not me), avoid oil branded stations!

For me, I don't really have a choice. Most of these stations are franchised anyways, so it's all in how the owners price their fuel. The two J&H Marathons in East Lansing are almost always competitive with their E85 prices, as is the H&H Mobil there. Besides, I loathe a lot of these oil companies... namely Shell, ExxonMobil, and BP, because of their terrible, horrible, deplorable environmental practices. The only way I can justify seeing those station names on my transaction history for my credit card is the fact that "this is not a (blank) product".

Absolutely, I hear ya...

In Wisconsin, it seems there are two groups regarding E-85. There are a few co-ops / producers that have retail outlets and then I THINK the regular petroleum terminals also sell E-85 to the other type of retailer. Some retailers also run the teminals...I do not know I am no expert.

I very much prefer the former, which I believe is why you can see $1 spread in one place and 40 Cents in another. I just figure, as you do, what is the best way I can use E-85 and help. I like ethanol plants that make their own e-85 and have an outlet to sell it to the end user. Either their own station or a contracted deal with an independent stations or station group :) I suppose a terminal operator COULD cut an ethanol deal with producers and pass on the savings, but they aren't doing that at all here in my area of the state. I probably don't have that right anyway....

Well, I made another pitch today. So I went to top off my car's tank (because I was curious how much of an effect all that highway mileage had on the economy, and 23.3... not bad!) at the Marathon on Trowbridge/Harrison in the EL. No, this is not the one I posted about yesterday. So a guy pulls up to the other side of the pump with a flex-fuel Buick Regal. I saw him open the yellow gas cap, and then put in a black nozzle to pump dino-fuel. I then said to the guy "you know you can save 74¢/gallon"? He replied "how do you do that"? I pointed at the E-85 button and said "just use E-85. It's $2.99/gallon". At first, I wasn't sure if he had taken what I said into consideration, but then he took out the black nozzle, put in his credit card again, and then placed the tan nozzle in his tank. Felt good. And oh yeah, it was another of these moments for him...

brightidea.jpg

never stop preaching... even chat it up with fellow e85 users... thank them for their loyalty, and advise them to spread the word as well.  I will also point out where other stations are if they say "I only wish there were more stations"...  many don't use it exclusivly, as they are un aware of some of the newer stations around the area.

Someone from the hospital across the street came in while I was working, and I happened to be looking at the parking lot when she pulled in. This was the first time I've seen a Flex fuel 200 (not many around here), so naturally I had to say something. I pointed out to her that her car is flex fuel, and showed her where the badge was on the car saying that it is. She had no idea her car was a flex fuel, and seemed pretty excited when I told her that she could get fuel for $2.99 a gallon. So I gave her the address for H&H Mobil, and she said she would definitely look it up. I had told her I wasn't sure if she knew where it was, and she said "I'll find it". I think it's realistic to set a goal of one person per week.

Someone from the hospital across the street came in while I was working, and I happened to be looking at the parking lot when she pulled in. This was the first time I've seen a Flex fuel 200 (not many around here), so naturally I had to say something. I pointed out to her that her car is flex fuel, and showed her where the badge was on the car saying that it is. She had no idea her car was a flex fuel, and seemed pretty excited when I told her that she could get fuel for $2.99 a gallon. So I gave her the address for H&H Mobil, and she said she would definitely look it up. I had told her I wasn't sure if she knew where it was, and she said "I'll find it". I think it's realistic to set a goal of one person per week.

Just so you guys know, far as I can tell, 2011is the only year Chrysler as a whole badged vehicles as E85 when they built the Pentastar equipped cars and SUV's.  It's standard in the Minivans and Durango/Grand Cherokee but optional in the Avenger/200 and Journey.  So long as the vans and Journey have a yellow cap, they'll be flex fuel, if the Durango and Grand don't have Hemi badges, those will also be the Pentastar.  The quick tell on the Avenger and 200 is the number of tail pipes and rims.  If it has a single tailpipe, that's a gas only 2.4l I-4 while chromed dual tips will indicate a V-6 car......and a possible butt woopin' if you get into a race, they're usually good for mid 14's in the quarter showroom stock on regular with a good driver.

Forgot to mention this as what too look for when spotting a Pentastar V-6 Mopar;

For the '11+ Chrysler 300, if it's just a 300 and not a 300C or SRT (as well as lacking a Hemi badge), will be the V-6

For the '11+ Charger and Challenger, they will lack R/T badging and Hemi badges and will be more basic cars.......but if you do see a basic looking '05+ Charger that has steel wheels, some sort of hubcap, and Hemi badging beware, those are the Police models!  Look for signs of it being a police car and unless the driver looks like they should be riding in the back instead of driving, behave yourself!

Looks like the V-6 Journeys are also dual tailpipe, look for the ones with the revised crosshair grill and round looking LED tail lights.

The '11 or '12 Jeep Wranglers are not flex fuel, even with the same motor as the above vehicles, also don't be surprised if some owners are at best, ignorant if not repeating old, worn out anti ethanol propaganda.........just trust me on that one.

'12 Ram Trucks, don't know yet but hopefully so!

Also with the Avengers, look for the ones that have the newer crosshair grill and "round" LED tails similar to those on the Journey.  If it has narrow bars for the crosshairs and tailights kinda like the '99-'04 Dodge Intrepid and '05-'10 Charger with dual tail pipes and no Flex Fuel badge, that will be a variation of the 3.5l V-6 originally from the Prowler, Intrepid R/T, and 300M and it isnot a factory flex fuel motor!  Only the 2.7l V-6 like the one in GIO's Sebring will be theflex fueler.