Sign in to follow this  
BJoe

Flooding Question

Of the river and rain water kind.

We have just been hit pretty hard rain wise in the last 24 hours, enough to shut down some of the Chicago area roadways.  Two of the three stations that I buy E85 from are right off the Fox River and that will likely be at flood stage, one is a town that has seen quite a bit of flooding, and the other is in an area with a lot of farm land...........which should have been pretty well soaked even before these rains started.  Is it safe to buy from any of these stations for the time being?

Cessna is correct - run a bit into a clear jar after you put about 2 gal in your car- if murky do not proceed.

There are 2 main places rainwater can enter a modern underground fuel tank; 1) groundwater rises to the level of the top of the underground tank (this is usually about 4' below surface) and finds a poor seal on the fuel level gauge wire grommet, the cap seal for the same level gauge, tank top manhole seal, or submersible pump access seal. More likely would be 2) transport fill cap seal/overfill bucket lid seal. Because the 2nd one is most likely and can happen anytime the rainfall rate is heavy or slush/ice dams water around the fill lids-- I prefer to buy from stations that have tanks on top of a hill AND have those horrible raised concrete areas around the tank fills (yes- you know who has these because if you drive more than 5 mph you hit you head on the car roof ;D )

Thanks guys, one of my co-workers was out near the 4th station for his other job and saw that they were doing fine.........the neighborhoods he went through and into to do some house painting on the other hand.........not so lucky, quite a few flooded yards in these new sub-divisions :(

And now it's time for gas prices to skyrocket............... >:(

I ended up working on one of my days off thursday when the store manager got flooded into his own community.  I drove the Jeep since I didn't know what road conditions I was going to encounter and was even thinking about topping it off since I got a couple BP cards for Easter and they had dropped down to $3.52 for regular.  I noticed it looked like prices had gone back up at the stations I passed on the way in and even though I forgot the cards, I was still thinking about topping off on the way home but didn't.  Woke up to find that we were getting some light snow, so I drove the Jeep again not having any clue what I was going to dealing with today and made sure to grab the cards.  On the way in,  I started seeing the prices had gone up more while in transit and then finally got to that BP and they're now $3.85!  Jumped $.33 a gallon in around 15 hours and according to the news, it will like get worse!  Apparently all of the local refineries were located along the Des Plains River, which flooded in a baaaad way.  Hopefully the Ethanol plants are in safer locations.

And now it's time for gas prices to skyrocket............... >:(

I ended up working on one of my days off thursday when the store manager got flooded into his own community.  I drove the Jeep since I didn't know what road conditions I was going to encounter and was even thinking about topping it off since I got a couple BP cards for Easter and they had dropped down to $3.52 for regular.  I noticed it looked like prices had gone back up at the stations I passed on the way in and even though I forgot the cards, I was still thinking about topping off on the way home but didn't.  Woke up to find that we were getting some light snow, so I drove the Jeep again not having any clue what I was going to dealing with today and made sure to grab the cards.  On the way in,  I started seeing the prices had gone up more while in transit and then finally got to that BP and they're now $3.85!  Jumped $.33 a gallon in around 15 hours and according to the news, it will like get worse!  Apparently all of the local refineries were located along the Des Plains River, which flooded in a baaaad way.  Hopefully the Ethanol plants are in safer locations.

BP- the largest, is in Whiting IN, Mobil is in Joliet IL, and that leaves Citgo (the smallest) which I do not know where it is in Chicagoland. Otherwise- the rest of your gas supply comes from Conoco down in S. IL at Wood River.

I think the Exxon/Mobil refinery is probably the one most of it comes from.  Gotta fill the 200 tomorrow, hopefully E85 hasn't made a comparable jump.

I'll have to check out where that one in Argo is, thanks.

Well, it looked like Storkey posted up a Speedway in Elk Grove and it looked like they were much better priced, we're cheaper out this way most of the time so I should be good!