Sign in to follow this  
HuskerFlex

E85 billboard at 72nd & Dodge in Omaha

For those of you familiar with Omaha Nebraska...  72 & Dodge is a MAJOR urban intersection in the mid-town area where two major commuting roads converge, next to the UNO campus, Nebraska Furniture Mart, and a dying formerly vibrant shopping mall....

Anyways, on one of those massive billboards way up high, there is a sign advertising

http://www.e85omaha.com/

pretty neat looking.  The website says it is "presented by greenplains", because those signs don't come cheap.  Nice to see e85 being promoted by an ethanol company.

Oddly enough, of the 20 stations they have listed as being in the Omaha area, they have the one in Blair listed that has been closed for over 3 years!  Will have to check to see if it is now open again.

They are also missing the Kum & Go on south 84th street...

Still a good sign, and some basic good info.

Dan,

I don't know how these things work, but it may be worth sending them some info about your site...  it could be a good way for them to link "local e85" users to the nation wide community, and provide "local e85" users resources to stations outside the metro area...

We (this site) do have the most up to date and accurate listing of e85 stations on the web.

I just received a flier in the mail from this same group, with the same link to their website, advertising the benefits of e85 for FFV owners.  It was addressed to me.  I'm thinking that they are doing a targeted mailing to FFV owners based on DMV data.

Not a bad idea. 

Sort of shocked that it has not been done already.

Anyone else on here in the Omaha area get one of these?  It was a 5x8" cardstock flier, like you get from political candidates leading up to an election... only this one was worth reading!

Anyone else on here in the Omaha area get one of these?  It was a 5x8" cardstock flier, like you get from political candidates leading up to an election... only this one was worth reading!

Not yet. I did "Like" that group on Facebook. The have a small following.

The other day I was stopped at that light (72nd and Dodge)... looking around, I saw 2 CNG powered taxi cabs, 1 CNG powered utility van, a PHEV Chevy volt, and my FFV...  several other FFVs, but doubt many of them were using "the good stuff"...

Imagine if more people were looking at alternatives?

I just don't get why this is a novel idea!

Or, maybe,  as opposed to digging through DMV data, they are mass mailing them assuming that many own FFVs and many that do, don't even know they have choices. Or they have the propaganda in their heads.

I just received a flier in the mail from this same group, with the same link to their website, advertising the benefits of e85 for FFV owners.  It was addressed to me.  I'm thinking that they are doing a targeted mailing to FFV owners based on DMV data.

Not a bad idea. 

Sort of shocked that it has not been done already.

Not sure if it works the way it did here in Wisconsin but here is how it was done here:

An employee of the state wrote grant requests for alternative fuel stations and promotions to collect federal funds. Her salary was paid as a % of those grants. She would then apply those grant funds for as needed projects (as written in the grant) for such things as paying the state DMV to run the VIN #'s of all vehicles in the state categorized by zip code. The VIN number of course has the fuel code in it. This report was not available to retailers (confidentiality) but was made available to the American Lung Association. The retailer could find out the number of vehicles in the zip codes around his/her station, find out the cost per zip code to mail these post cards to targeted FFV owners in desired zip codes, and the American Lung Association would mail them. The retailer would pay for the mailing (<$1/ea)

I did this a few times around 2005-8

I know it's a bit OT, but checking out that intersection on Google Street View, I've never heard of that stoplight setup. Sure, we have an intersection on the west side of Lansing that has two left turn lanes in each approach. But since when do they mount two dozen stop lights on what would ordinarily be the frame for a highway sign? And I presume the billboard of which we're speaking is the one above Scooters?

I've never heard of that stoplight setup...

really?  They have them all over the Omaha metro area...  I'd say 1-2 dozen possibly.  I assumed it was standard prociedure...

As for "scooters".... I'm not a coffee afficianato... but the billboard in question is on the "southwest" corner, about 1/2 a block west of 72nd, and just off dodge...  you only see it when driving west... but with the long down hill grade from the university area... you get a great view of it.

I just saw a 2nd identical billboard.  This one is on "Industrial Avenue" where Highway 92 switches from "center" to "L Street" around 135th or so...  this one is viewable when traveling east.

Two billboards in VERY high volume traffic locations, and targeted mailings.  Very solid effort.

This again is being done by Greenplains Energy.

Danno,

any chance that they would put a link to your site on there?  Would be cool to get some "new blood" from the area on the forum...  possibly some new price posters...  Between e85racer and I, there are only a small handfull of prices per year posted in NE by anyone else... :'(

I would not see this as a competitor, but more as an additional resource.  Part of what I love about e85 is the "community"... you chaps are a pretty diverse and cool lot.