Sign in to follow this  
GT-Labs

I've been experimenting with something...

Here's something to think about with this additive: "Flex-Fuel Ability in a Bottle" I need to do some more runs, but this is a stock carb'd Briggs engine (5hp Funpower kart engine) running on E85 and the Magic Mystery Sauce. On E50 the thing would barely run unless the carb was full rich. With this, I have that flexibility back, it idles like a watch, and the response is pretty damn good. The only change to the tuning was rich/lean on the mixture screw as needed and about 6 drops of MMS into 1 cup of E85. When more juice arrives I'll get some more recordings.

idle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQr3MnK1RF4

tuning (lean burn)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEeCv3S7ZJU

Gary:

Interesting results!

It will be fun to watch the testing of this stuff, but like you I'm not sure what the stuff does.

After I get some other testing done I might  borrow a bit of it for a comparison test, but I need to finish up some things, and get the gauges I need installed after I get my emissions test (need to do the old back to stock exhaust swap thing for that).

Larry

Thanks, Larry. I have to reveal something before I get bumped off by big oil ;)....

The exhaust on the Briggs smells a bit like seawater of all things. I'll have more on that phenomenon in the next round of testing.

It just got more interesting. I did some testing with water, 2 stroke fuel, and some other stuff with E85 and Oxytane. I have pics but the resolution sucks.

rule.) Water makes ethanol and gasoline separate into layers and the mixture becomes unusable and acidic.

broken rule.) Mix oxytane with E85 at the refinery point. (Basically, add Oxytane before it gets a chance to absorb water.) Ethanol, gas, and oxytane don't separate when water is introduced into the mixture. I dumped a lot of water in and it just kept taking more and more water with no signs of separation. Oxytane absorbs water. It's hygroscopic. Condensation that would develop in a pipeline would get absorbed in this mixture.

Further questions for me involve how well it will combust with water in the mix and is phase separation just happening a lot slower. Water separates E85 back into gas and ethanol. You can do it yourself and it happens pretty quick in a test tube. Oxytane stopped the separation with water introduced into the mix. If it was already separated, with water Oxytane did nothing. Oxytane as a "defense" against moisture in the mixture before the water is what worked. I'll see how it combusts tomorrow. I want to see what it does when it sits.

I figured out how to edit these things a lot better. Enjoy the demonstration of Oxytane and E85 in a stock Briggs ;).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIAb5WQr1xU

Very Good GT .. you need to be in the Infomercial business ;) Instead of the text have you considered just talking as you go through your demonstrations..not just voice over but get in front of the camera and do the whole demonstration

I too, will be interested how the oxytane-water-E85 test turns out. Can you see how acidic it becomes also? It would be interesting to see what the Oxytane would do to the readings from the dielectric constant device in the fuel line on my old flexfuel Taurus.

Marty

I don't like my voice on tape. That vid was done silently on purpose so you can hear and see everything. If I talk over the vid it takes attention away from the experiment, IMO.

Another testbed will be a 2000 FFV Taurus. He usually runs E85 but I'm having him go through the motions of upping the ethanol blend slowly so he can watch the transformation himself. Fords like the stuff, honestly.

I can get some pH strips and test the acidity of the mixture that way. I'll let you know what I find.

I put this stuff up on some other boards and got lukewarm reception. Nasioc liked it, but 4cycle.com and jeepsunlimited were pretty flat and even flaming. I know where the geeks are, but who knew forum spelunking could be so hazardous  :-\.