Sign in to follow this  
rusty70f100

Small engine E85 study

Here's an article I found from the University of Tennessee on E85 conversion of a Briggs and Stratton engine.  It's from 2006, but I don't recall it being posted here yet.  They actually reach some very favorable conclusions.

http://web.utk.edu/~scurran/e85kart/Retrofit%20of%20a%20Briggs%20and%20Stratton%20Small%20Engine%20to%20Run%20E85.pdf

Very good read Rusty..

We all know it isn't a problem to run E85 ..it all comes down to the Manufactures needing to invest/ SPEND to make their small engines compatible..

....aluminum fuel tanks had to be alodized (a process similar to anodizing) to prevent

corrosion and the aluminum fuel lines had to be replaced with stainless steel...

...All natural rubbers and incompatible polymers had to be exchanged with

compatible ones such as viton and high-density polyethylene (HDPE)...

..carburetor float ..

I realize they went 60 days without issues but long term yeah they would need to change parts

I went 2-3 years on e45-50 (unconverted) before enlarging the main jet to run strait e85... has now been 2 full years on that with NO problems.

No modification to tank, lines, float... 

It was a University of Michigan study from 2004 that convinced me to try E-85 in my 2001 Prius. It was the Prius community that determined E-60 was the maximum concentration an unmodified model could tolerate. A fuel injection pulse and timing modification kit was required to run E-85.

No consequences were noted by the university team in their 2 year study. None are directly attributable in my 9 year/94,000 mile experience with ethanol fuel varying from E-40 to E-85 (depending on price and availability).

I jynxed it!

This morning, on startup, my Prius started misfiring. When the engine starting getting really rough the ECU turned the engine off and issued BIG warning icons spanning all displays.

On the off chance it might be the fuel injection E85 modification kit, I removed it. The car started and ran well, but maintained all the warnimg icons. To prevent a lean fuel warning, I hurried out and filled the car with E10 to dilute the E85 fuel.

Starting up to exit the gas station, the BIG warning icons cancelled leaving only the check engine lamp. After restarting the car after it was parked for another forty minutes, no warnings indicators remained. The car is running smoothly on an approximately E45 mix. The Change2E85 conversion kit has been discarded. It was in service or less than four years. Can someone recommend a more reliable replacement?

My apologies for drifting so far off topic, but this was the topic where I shared how trouble-free my E85 conversion HAD been.

I jynxed it!

This morning, on startup, my Prius started misfiring. When the engine starting getting really rough the ECU turned the engine off and issued BIG warning icons spanning all displays.

On the off chance it might be the fuel injection E85 modification kit, I removed it. The car started and ran well, but maintained all the warnimg icons. To prevent a lean fuel warning, I hurried out and filled the car with E10 to dilute the E85 fuel.

Starting up to exit the gas station, the BIG warning icons cancelled leaving only the check engine lamp. After restarting the car after it was parked for another forty minutes, no warnings indicators remained. The car is running smoothly on an approximately E45 mix. The Change2E85 conversion kit has been discarded. It was in service or less than four years. Can someone recommend a more reliable replacement?

My apologies for drifting so far off topic, but this was the topic where I shared how trouble-free my E85 conversion HAD been.

My question (and as a hybrid owner) is whether this "rough idle/running" and warning lights was really related to the E85 conversion kit.  The hybrid system has cooling pumps that are known to fail/not work correctly and when they do, the vehicle can go into "limp" mode in an attempt to prevent damage.  You mention "lean fuel warning"  and how was this determined?  Do you have  a code reader?  Malfunction of electronic cooling pump will induce the same symptoms.  The Prius was recalled for just this issue but I do not know if your vehicle had this item replaced.  Enough for now.

BillyK,

For brevity, I chose not to include the facts that I removed the kit, restarted the engine and allowed the system to stabilize, reinstalled the kit and witnessed the malfunction a second time before removing and discarding the kit.

My Prius will not issue a lean fuel warning for ethanol concentrations of 60% or less. By diluting the ethanol concentration, I removed the likelihood of compound error codes. No, I don't have a reader, but I do have 4 auto parts stores within two miles of my home whom offer free error code reading services.

My 2001 Prius was subject to two recalls: incompatible fuel-injectors resulting in poor performance and poorly sealed battery cases permitting battery terminal corrosion. Each recall service was performed by the dealership more than a decade ago.