Sign in to follow this  
gasisoutrageous

Drought weakens... some encouraging news

Browsing around this evening, I found a couple of articles posted by the NWS folks in Milwaukee and LaCrosse, WI regarding the ongoing drought in the Midwest.

NWS Milwaukee

Drought Has Ended Over Southern Wisconsin

DROUGHT INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WI

1020 AM CDT THU MAR 21 2013

...THE DROUGHT HAS ENDED OVER FAR SOUTHERN WISCONSIN...

.SYNOPSIS...A VERY WET AND SNOWY WINTER WHICH HAS CONTINUED INTO

MARCH HAS GIVEN SOUTHERN WISCONSIN THE NECESSARY AMOUNT OF MOISTURE TO END THE DROUGHT. SUFFICIENT SOIL MOISTURE IS EXPECTED FOR THE BEGINNING OF THE GROWING SEASON ONCE IT BEGINS. 

.LOCAL AREA AFFECTED...A DROUGHT IS NO LONGER OCCURRING OVER 

SOUTH CENTRAL...SOUTHEAST...OR EAST CENTRAL WISCONSIN. 

.CLIMATE SUMMARY...WELL ABOVE NORMAL PRECIPITATION HAS FALLEN THIS

WINTER INTO EARLY SPRING WITH 8 TO 12 INCHES OF LIQUID EQUIVALENT

PRECIPITATION. THIS IS 3 TO 5 INCHES ABOVE NORMAL OR 150 TO 185

PERCENT ABOVE NORMAL.

PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS AT VARIOUS LOCATIONS ACROSS SOUTHERN WISCONSIN FROM DECEMBER 1 2012 THROUGH MARCH 20 2013...

CITY            COUNTY          PCPN      SURPLUS/DEFICIT

NWS SULLIVAN    JEFFERSON      11.34            4.89

MILWAUKEE      MILWAUKEE      11.69            4.91

MADISON        DANE            10.24            4.55

RACINE          RACINE          9.56            4.28

KENOSHA        KENOSHA          9.10            3.41

.SOIL MOISTURE CONDITIONS...SOIL MOISTURE HAS IMPROVED GREATLY DUE

TO A WET WINTER. SUFFICIENT SOIL MOISTURE IS EXPECTED FOR THE START

OF THE GROWING SEASON.

.GROUND WATER IMPACTS...WELL WATER LEVELS HAVE RISEN THIS WINTER AND WILL RISE MORE ONCE THE SNOW MELTS AND THE GROUND THAWS.

.RIVER AND STREAM FLOW CONDITIONS...WELL ABOVE NORMAL PRECIPITATION

HAS FALLEN THIS WINTER ACROSS SOUTHERN WISCONSIN. SEVERAL ROUNDS OF SNOW MELTS AND RAIN EVENTS HAVE RESULTED IN NORMAL TO ABOVE NORMAL FLOWS ON AREA RIVERS.

.AGRICULTURAL IMPACTS...SUFFICIENT SOIL MOISTURE IS EXPECTED FOR THE START OF THE GROWING SEASON.       

FOR MORE DETAILS ON THE CONDITION OF THE CROPS...PLEASE REFER TO THE

USDA WISCONSIN CROP PROGRESS REPORT AT THE FOLLOWING WEBSITE

ADDRESS...

WWW.NASS.USDA.GOV/STATISTICS_BY_STATE/WISCONSIN/PUBLICATIONS/CROP_PROGRESS_&_CONDITION/2012/CWCURR.PDF

.FIRE DANGER IMPACTS...SOUTHERN WISCONSIN IS CLASSIFIED AS LOW FIRE

DANGER BY THE WISCONSIN DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES...DUE TO THE SNOW COVER AND OVERALL WINTER CONDITIONS. 

.PRECIPITATION/TEMPERATURE OUTLOOK...VERY COLD TEMPERATURES EARLY

THIS SPRING ARE EXPECTED TO WARM TO NEAR NORMAL OR POSSIBLY SLIGHTLY ABOVE NORMAL BY LATE APRIL OR MAY. THERE ARE SLIGHTLY HIGHER

PROBABILITIES OF ABOVE NORMAL PRECIPITATION TO CONTINUE THIS

SPRING. 

FOR MORE DETAILS ON THE PRECIPITATION AND TEMPERATURE OUTLOOK FOR

NOVEMBER AND WINTER...PLEASE VISIT THE CLIMATE PREDICTION CENTER

WEBSITE...

HTTP://WWW.CPC.NCEP.NOAA.GOV

.QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS...IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS ABOUT THIS DROUGHT INFORMATION...PLEASE CONTACT...

MARK GEHRING

CLIMATE SERVICES FOCAL POINT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE

MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WISCONSIN

mark.g.gehring@noaa.gov

.RELATED WEB SITES...THE FOLLOWING WEB SITES WERE REFERENCED TO

ACCESS INFORMATION FOR THIS DROUGHT INFORMATION STATEMENT.

UNITED STATES DROUGHT PORTAL...

http://www.drought.gov/portal/server.pt/community/drought_gov/202

LOCAL WEATHER...CLIMATE AND WATER INFORMATION...

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=mkx

.NEXT ISSUANCE...DUE TO THE END OF THE DROUGHT...THIS IS THE LAST

DROUGHT STATEMENT CONCERNING THIS DROUGHT.

GEHRING/WOOD NWS MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WISCONSIN

NWS LaCrosse.

Here is the national drought monitor. Although much of lower Michigan completely missed out on the snow this winter (  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( ), much of the area hardest hit by the drought from last year (the heart of corn country), has seen the exceptional drought (maroon) shrink significantly. The I-69 corridor from Lansing down to the Indiana state line remains under a slight drought.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/12_week.gif

We had an average winter here in suburban Chicago, it was just a little late.........and won't leave.........  Apparently central Illinois got it pretty good over the past couple days. Good enough that it might impact how quickly we get product at work from the two Champaign based distributers we get stuff from.

So today, I filled up at the usual Marathon. The manager mentioned to me that he wishes they could get rid of the ethanol fuels, and that there is plenty of oil in the ground. Boy oh boy... if they get rid of any of the ethanol fuels... I will most definitely take my E85 business (and my dad will take his E15 business) elsewhere.

Waay above average snow pack moisture in the Red River Valley (ND/MN border) causing flood concerns so not much discussion of drought here or south, south east of us.

So today, I filled up at the usual Marathon. The manager mentioned to me that he wishes they could get rid of the ethanol fuels, and that there is plenty of oil in the ground. Boy oh boy... if they get rid of any of the ethanol fuels... I will most definitely take my E85 business (and my dad will take his E15 business) elsewhere.

Besides his perception that it is okay to burn up what your kids and grand kids might find useful for future possible purposes--what is his issue with ethanol?

Besides his perception that it is okay to burn up what your kids and grand kids might find useful for future possible purposes--what is his issue with ethanol?

I've found that many people in our society are simply unable to look down the road and realize that their actions have consequences. Most people today are interested in what works for them now. That's why it's so much fun to time lights... and zip by people who weren't able to realize they would have to stop going at full speed. The easy to get oil is pretty much gone... just look at the mess that Shell created up in Alaska at the beginning of the year. That's the sort of thing that will most likely become commonplace if we want to keep using petrol. I think he also is not selling very much of it. I usually go there to fuel up once a week, but will sometimes go to Shell if I have some discounts to use up. He told me I was his biggest E85 fuel buyer.

It's also one of those situations where we know each other fairly well, and I don't want to make the situation uncomfortable.

We'll celebrate him on "fossil fools day" April 1  ;D

You are right- a lot of folks are like that and are unlikely to change their mind. When I was running several E85 stations and working for an ethanol plant I was accused of being a baby killer, liar, evil man,- you name it.

I've been unable to convince my mom to use E15 and change her driving habits, and my dad is the only person I know (in person) who actually uses E85. I think it will take either governmental incentive or people with a lot of money and a heart for the environment to get ethanol going. Maybe when E85 is $2.49 with gas at $4.29, people will begin to change their minds.

A nice spread helps greatly! When I could maintain a 20-27% spread as gas first climbed above the $3 the stations we had at the time could each easily sell 700-1100 gal of E85 per day--and they were UNATTENDED credit/cash pumps mostly on the edge of cities. After the spread narrowed and the effective attacks by "big food" started- things slid.

A nice price point spread is essential for E85 to take off.  I live in Southern California and the only station that I can buy from without driving 20 miles out of my way has around 65 cents as a diff.  This week gas went up 10 cents but ethanol went up 14 cents?  Not sure why but as stated for the average person to want to use E85 it needs to be much cheaper and available at more then 2 stations in San Diego, a city of over 6,000,000 people.