Sign in to follow this  
Steve-O

1.5 miles to the grocery store

Just making this trip, I will see at least 10 FFVs by the time I get back home.

I still wonder why 9 out of 10 people don't even know they have a fuel choice, and what a positive impact it would be if these people made a conscious decision to use E-85.

I know it's all about which fuel is cheapest over the course of a year, BUT most still don't even get that they have the option.

Unfortunate after all these years of FFVs

I'm usually surprised by that as well. I see so many flex-fuel Impalas that I say "an Impala that's not flex fuel"? Whenever I see someone putting petrol into a flex fuel car, I'm definitely tempted to say something. But from time to time, I do see a flex fuel car getting E85 at the Shell or the Marathon I go to in the EL.

As for the cost, I'm willing to contend it's at least possible to spend less in a year on E85 than on gasoline, with the same driving conditions and miles. E85's pricing is far more stable than that of gasoline.

It seems like that's all I see all day long in the St Cloud Mn Metro area are FFVS.

There are also a couple Volt drivers.. 100,000 people in the Metro so you tend to see some of the same vehicles everyday

My brother-in-law bought a brand-new Ford Expedition and used E85 for a bit, then realized that by running gasoline, he didn't have to fill the tank so often and that was it. I wasn't able to sell him on E30 either.

His son (Ford Explorer) will fill with E85 during the summer, but claims that his mileage in the winter is horrible. Both have astro starts and use them a LOT all winter long. I suspect he only runs it if the spread is reasonable.

My other brother-in-law was filling his pickup with E85 last I heard, but haven't talked to him for awhile now.

I've run into a few at the Woodman's I normally buy from while there with either vehicle.  I had one in an 4 cylinder, FWD Escape ask me if I noticed a lack of power from the stuff while the owner of a Durango Crew (also Pentastar powered) swears the Durango was making more power on the stuff (which I have seen with the 200.) 

What was kinda funny about the guy with the Escape was complaining about lack of pulling power primarily while pulling a boat and trailer up a boat ramp.........pretty sure the fuel isn't really the problem there................

I have long wondered what percent of FFVs I see on my long commute here in Omaha have ethanol in their tank?  I'd venture to guess less then 1 in 10.  Of the other 9, I'd venture to guess that 4 don't even know what e85 is, that 4 know what it is, but heard that it "ruins your mileage, and ends up costing you more...", and 1 will tell you that even though it "can run it", it will eventually ruin your engine...

That is my speculation about FFV owners here in Omaha.  What do you chaps think?

Couple weeks ago an old guy was fueling with regular into his new Ford Focus FFV, as I was blending E-85 into my Sonata as I always do. I asked him if he had tried E-85 because his Focus was compatible with it. He basically had no clue what I was even talking about and said something like "baah uh I just use the 87" - obviously he was looking at the octane number on the buttons and was clueless to what E-85 is even though it was on the same pump bright yellow handle. That's why I usually avoid it. I did say I liked his car though lol.

I'd like to see the "state ethanol" (or corn growers) boards distribute "I use 85" stickers... make an effort to have every e85 user tagged (including state/fleet cars)... as a way to get awareness of e85 out there.

the NEB (Nebraska Ethanol Board) seems to be so focused on e10, and their savior e15, that the thought of e85 is really an afterthought/sidetrack.

I have long wondered what percent of FFVs I see on my long commute here in Omaha have ethanol in their tank?  I'd venture to guess less then 1 in 10.  Of the other 9, I'd venture to guess that 4 don't even know what e85 is, that 4 know what it is, but heard that it "ruins your mileage, and ends up costing you more...", and 1 will tell you that even though it "can run it", it will eventually ruin your engine...

That is my speculation about FFV owners here in Omaha.  What do you chaps think?

Husker, that's pretty damn close to what I've seen here in Suburban Chicago as well as on line.........only people have been nicer to my face about it...........then again, I'm a fat guy who has been told that I look like I could have a colleage footbal linebacker or defenceman, thete could ne some visual intimidation without even having to open my mouth.