Sign in to follow this  
cessna

John Deere flex fuel law mower

I wonder who is building these for John Deere. The last I knew JD had someone else (MTD being one) build lawn and garden equipment for them. I looked at the other players and could not find another similar machine with Flex Fuel capability. JD must have specified the Flex Fuel engine to their manufacturer? Anyway it is a good start. Good for John Deere!

Well, the Kohler company in Kohler, WI makes the engine. I had previously had either heard or  read that they had been working on a flex fuel small engine, looks like Deere may be the first manufacurer to go with it.

SteveO- if it is the Kohler engine then it surely is the one that Kohler had on their website just prior to the market crash in 2008. They only had it on their website for a couple of months before they pulled it- likely due to the financial crash and it being a premium product. It is the correct HP range.

Just found this for Brazil and Stihl

This engine is certified to operate on

unleaded gasoline and the STIHL two-

stroke engine oil at a mix ratio of 50:1.

Your engine requires a mixture of high-

quality gasoline and quality two-stroke

air cooled engine oil.

Use mid-grade unleaded gasoline with a

minimum octane rating of 89 (R+M/2). If

the octane rating of the mid-grade

gasoline in your area is lower, use

premium unleaded fuel.

Fuel with a lower octane rating may

increase engine temperatures. This, in

turn, increases the risk of piston seizure

and damage to the engine.

The chemical composition of the fuel is

also important. Some fuel additives not

only detrimentally affect elastomers

(carburetor diaphragms, oil seals, fuel

lines, etc.), but magnesium castings and

catalytic converters as well. This could

cause running problems or even

damage the engine. For this reason

STIHL recommends that you use only

high-quality unleaded gasoline!

Gasoline with an ethanol content of

more than 10% can cause running

problems and major damage in engines

with a manually adjustable carburetor

and should not be used in such engines.

Engines equipped with M-Tronic can be

run on gasoline with an ethanol content

of up to 25% (E25).

Use only STIHL two-stroke engine oil or

equivalent high-quality two-stroke

engine oils that are designed for use

only in air cooled two-cycle engines

Engines equipped with M-Tronic can be

run on gasoline with an ethanol content

of up to 25% (E25)

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/165778/Stihl-Ms-441-C-M.html?page=28#manual

The M-Tronic™ system electronically controls the ignition timing and fuel metering in any operating condition, factoring in temperature, altitude and fuel quality.  Now available on the STIHL MS 441 C-M chain saw and the STIHL FS 460 C-EM brushcutter/clearing saw, this system provides professionals with optimum performance, whether you are just starting to work or resuming after a break.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/technology/stihl-m-tronic/

after the outboard boating people, the small engine people seem to be the biggest "anti-ethanol" people out there...

I'm surprised that "they" would even consider this possible...

Before long someone will look at the fuel related parts, and notice that they are using the same parts that they previously claimed that e15 would destroy! ;)

We already have those... it doesn't care what you ate, it still works. ;D

Not that kind!  ;)

It would take forever to mow a lawn that takes 75 minutes with a motorized mower that has self-propelled).  ;D

after the outboard boating people, the small engine people seem to be the biggest "anti-ethanol" people out there...

Before long someone will look at the fuel related parts, and notice that they are using the same parts that they previously claimed that e15 would destroy! ;)

I have to admit, I love studying how many people in society are unable to look at the future. Many are unable to realize that, traveling at the speed they are, they will have to stop at the next light. People are also conditioned to push buttons and expect something to happen... i.e. the people who press crosswalk buttons 10,000 times expecting something to happen  >:(

It's okay, the slogan in my signature just makes it that much more fun to time lights!  ;D

Think about it-- for E85 automakers only had to do some programming in the PCM, some EPA testing, and somewhere between $0-$70 worth of parts for a total of what---less than 1/10th to 1/2 of 1% of the retail price-yet they put up a huge fuss. Now small engines--much higher % of the price would be for EFI and computer controls vs $5 carbs---they will be afraid that if they have to go from carbs to EFI consumers will delay buying (or buy that push mower LOL). They are not going to buy into FFV (or EFI) in very small engines unless EPA or states force them to--just like occurrred years ago with cars.