Sign in to follow this  
Obormot

Bioadapter, version 4 - with automatic cold start

$127 for 4 cyl model... not bad.  ;D

I like that cold start lasts for one minute.

What about warm start? I assume no enrichment because of temp sensor? That was my complaint with some conversions I've had (3 total), that enrichment on one happened even on warm start so engine stumbled for a few seconds at start.

if temperature is higher than +15 C, no additional enrichment at all.

lower temperature - bigger additional enrichment.

cold start enrichment is constant for first 10 sec., than smoothly decreasing in next 50 seconds.

i'm looking for resellers, bulk prices are twice lower :)

I changed prices to US$ and now $125 with adapter, yet if I choose local US dealer, it goes to $199.  ;D

Shipping is free to US?

I've never been fond of any conversion when temps approach 0°F (-18°C). Engine will stumble, even stall and need to restart. Even after a minute or two, driving down the road I've had misfire with easy acceleration (driving like your grandmother). ;D I live in North Dakota, so colder part of continental US.

Any online reviews in English? (Anyone here install one?)

If price spreads were better, I'd consider a dealership. I'm not fond of using two units for 8 cyl, because of more complicated support, but I can see why you'd want to.

So for US use with fuel injectors, most everyone should be able to use "auto" (unless O2 sensor fails).

What's up with this? http://sourceforge.net/projects/bioadapter/  User can update their own software? That'd be cool if the user could update to latest changes.

I wish I could try it tomorrow. My tank is full of E70 and our high for the day is supposed to be -4°F... a good day to test cold starting. ;D For all I know it could be the last of our cold weather for this year.

as i know, everything is normal when temperatures are pretty low, my partners from Europe write, that -20...-25C is not a problem for starting and driving. of course longer warm-up time needed before driving. i tested cold starts and driving at -20C, no problems.

preheating of intake air really helping to decrease warm-up time, fuel consumption and increase driveability in low outside temperatures. for example, i installed an automatic thermostate from old carbureator car, that mixing hot and cold air and hold temperature about +30C.

there are many installations, look at serial number at the photo :)

i can send some photos and reviews, but i prefer not to sell adapters directly from my site, but to find a dealer in other country and support his business, so most installations was done without my involvement.

about 6-8 cyl. units - as i know, most producers making such units, but usually it is just bigger box with 2 usual 4-cylinder units inside :) so i do not see any troubles to use 2 separated units.

and as for me, installation of 2 separated units are easier, espesially for V6-V8 engines.

you can place each unit on each side of engine, it is better than one unit and very long cables.

just set "Auto" mode and thats all, no need to touch it any more.

about http://sourceforge.net/projects/bioadapter/ - yes, one user made his own firmware for one of old models, why not?

inside is usual atmega processor, anyone can use it :)

but is it not upgrade, i think it is not needed for most users.

usual drivers need just install-and forget :)

advanced users can reflash teir ECUs for example, or convert their motors for E85 by bigger injectors or fuel pressure, i think this way is better, but need spacial tools, knowledge, place and time for make it.

post-1165-138947095735_thumb.jpg

post-1165-13894709574_thumb.jpg

I wish I could try it tomorrow. My tank is full of E70 and our high for the day is supposed to be -4°F... a good day to test cold starting. ;D For all I know it could be the last of our cold weather for this year.

for emerjency case, you can open the hood, open the air filter box, and spread onto air filter about 3-4 teaspoons of gasoline, than close box, wait 5-7 sec. and trying to start the engine. it really helps, this quantity of fuel will be enough for starting and 1-2 sec. of idling. for this time pistons and cylinder walls will slightly heat up, and fuel from injectors will start to evaporate and burn.

also you can use small portion of ether or LPG gas like propane or butane.

if you have electric power near, you can insert usual electric hair dryer (or any other heater) into air intake, turn it on and then start engine.

looking for partners in USA for reselling conversion kits.

CE and TUV sertificates obtained for bioadapter.

also green bosh ev1 and nippon denso connectors arrived (other types will be later), so now it looking like this:

post-1165-138947096914_thumb.jpg

Morning Obormot..

A couple of questions for you..

What is your Base fuel in the Ukraine?  E0 , E10, E20?..

Does every Station carry E0/E10  ..You have the same complaints about Ethanol that we do in regards to small engines?

Base fuel here is E0, but producing of ethanol is pretty cheap here, much cheaper, than gasoline, and as i know, here there are some illegal ethanol plants, that producing ethanol and mixing ethanol to gasoline, so under E0 mark may be E10 or E20.

also here is tax benefits for fuels with more than 30% of ethanol, but ethanol must be supplied from official plants (price is higher), and we have a lot of "official" E40 fuel stations. not every of course, but many.

very soon base fuel become E5, and after 2-3 years - E7, there is a law about it.

also we have LPG on almost every fuel station.

price is more than twice lower, than gasoline.

CNG not very popular, some years ago it was very popular for trucks and buses, becouse of extremelly low price, but now price is slightly higher, than for LPG, and equipment for converting is much more expensive.

as i know, there are no big problems with cars with electronic injection systems with lambda correction, most of them can work on fuel up to E40.

but carbureated motors working on lean mixture on ethanol-based fuels, carbureator must be adjusted.

E5 - E10 is OK without adjusting, but no more.

for small 2-stroke motors there is only one complain: ethanol badly mixing with 2-stroke oil.

so usually operator mixing fuel and oil just before use, or shake premixed fuel fefore start if he can.

ethanol fuels giving less smoke and stink, and less deposits inside motor, so usually operators not complaining.

for testing and development i making E85 mixture from dehydrated ethanol and gasoline.

also i have some testers in different countries in Europe, they have E85.