Sign in to follow this  
gasisoutrageous

Spreads are trying to turn around...

So with the price hike to $3.499 for gas around here, the spreads are showing modest gains. This is probably my favorite aspect of E85... it isn't following gas. Hopefully now that December is behind us, the spreads will get better as they seem to this time of year.

post-2516-138947095573_thumb.jpg

Another hike for gas, to $3.599 today. No movement on E85.  ;D

Ethanol has edged up in recent days, so I'm concerned E85 might go up eventually. I gotta say though, spreads of 11-14% sound A LOT better than negative spreads.

post-2516-138947095674_thumb.jpg

post-2516-138947095681_thumb.jpg

Haven't had a chance to look around on ethanol, but even the lower price stations have jumped at least $.20 a gallon and even saw one station that is now $3.59 for regular!

E10 has jumped $.30 here in DSM over the last 5 days or so.    I haven't really been watching prices that closely, but I'll be running the numbers on my next fill up to see if it's worth going back to E85.    Glad we're getting back into the game again finally!

56 cent price spread at Chicago Board of Trade between Ethanol and Gasoline.. problem  is most places are still using E70 ..  which means that the Price spread is actually 40 cents.. which is OK for winter blend ..

post-1-138947095688_thumb.png

post-1-138947095691_thumb.png

Both gasoline and ethanol have skyrocketed... with a nearly 4 cent gain on the Chicago board of trade for ethanol today alone. That pails in comparison to gas though, which is up to $3.04 thus far. Even with ethanol's gain, that is still a 60 cent spread (2.440 vs 3.0427 as of 1:30pm ET). Corn is also up, at $7.37/bushel. Not good for either commodity, but what a turnaround this means for the spreads.

Filled up with E85 last night.. did a quick price calculation in my head, and it sounded close to 15%, and sure enough.. it was.

We've got another "gold" entry for Iowa.    I suspect that will continue with those commodity spreads.

Other than Egypt/Syria tension, I am not sure why prices are going up.    We actually had a Q4 contraction in the economy.. with Government spending down so much....

Wow, what an incredible turnaround for the spreads. Gas is hiking to $3.75, after we just had a hike to $3.59 on Monday. E-85 has not moved (at least not at retail). That means that I finally saw a yellow spread today!

post-2516-138947095693_thumb.jpg

I'm surprised Meijer took so long to go up here in Michigan. $3.299. Even at $3.19 for E85, they were losing money on every gallon sold. Right now, the price that retailers are paying for the fuel here in MI is about $3.24/gallon. Kudos though to the J&H Marathons in East Lansing and the Shell in Lansing, which are always competitive. I know where I'll be buying it, that's for sure.