Sign in to follow this  
TD

It's supposed to get real cold next week....

The Fox news video clip interview must have been with API itself -- What a load of 100% BS. For example- the lady says ethanol is haul in stainless steel tankers (hmm- never saw one of those haul alcohol but saw thousands of nice aluminum tankers doing just fine thank you)- then she talks about phase separation-( hmm- phase separation is immediate with ANY tiny amount of water in EO and becomes less likely the higher the ethanol content- due to same reason HEET works to eliminate water).

Gold Eagle has good products BUT EVERY ONE OF THE ADDITIVE COMPANIES ARE GUILTY OF CREATING NEED FOR THEIR PRODUCTS IN THE MINDS OF POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS SO BE CAREFUL OF THESE MESSAGES AND LINKS THEY PROVIDE! The additive business sells a lot of unnecessary goods to the public and some are very detrimental. Ever see an octane enhancer on store shelves with MMT in it- bad stuff. There are great additive products that are benefitial- but most of the best ones are put in the fuel already and the consumer does not need more except in rare cases. 1 example is an engine with run cycles that lead to a lot of hot soak and injector deposits- then Chevron Techtron might have value.

There's a talk radio show called "The Car Doctor". Actually an excellent show, but a couple years ago Gold Eagle was advertising some of their additives using the host of the show as the narrator for theads. These ads did exactly what outlaw states, tried to use ethanol added to today's fuels as the need for people to buy the product.

I wrote the guy and said the ads were very misleading and contributing to the misconceptions around ethanol fuel. Shortly thereafter, they changed the scripting of the ads to something like "In this day of and age of spiking prices and finite oil, the need for renewable fuels such as ethanol are a very important part of our fuel supply...." or some such thing. The ads still tried to tell you that you have to buy the gold eagle product because of ethanol but not quite so blatant. IMO they were still misleading but better.

I might consider putting a small amount of E15 or E30 in the tank to be thinking along those lines, James. For now though, the temperatures are expected to moderate into the 50s this weekend  ( >:( ) and it might be a while before we see subzero temps again.

That's incredible mileage, by the way. I've been topping off to keep the tank full (and prevent water from getting in the lines and freezing), and the other night I found 12.88 mpg. Much lower than the 16-24 that the Sebring normally gets. It might have been the cold weather, the fact that I had been using the remote start as if it was my job, or the automatic stop in the fuel nozzles.

I have never spend any money on those additives, and never put any in our vehicles, and never had any issues. I had an oldie which I drove only a few times during the summer, for like 9 months during the winter season it was sitting in a garage with a full tank, no issues.

Our Intrepid gets only driven about 50 miles every week, mostly stop and go, on E85. Also, no issues. I contribute the good total mileage to not messing around with it, just change the oil and it appears to be all it takes.

And starting using E85 on it made a huge difference. As I mentioned before, the engine runs truly smoother, my wife sometimes tried to start the car at a stop light cause she thought it died, that's how quite it runs.

Loss of MPG is a merely 4 to 5 on the highway.

Greetings!