Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

$80 million for the Broin Companies to build a cellulosic ethanol plant in Iowa

Yes !

Cellulosic ethanol plant gets $80 million grant; Culver unveils Iowa Power Fund 

By DAN GEARINO, Globe Gazette Des Moines Bureau

DES MOINES — People who attended a conference on renewable fuels Wednesday heard many sentences that began with, “Iowa is the Saudi Arabia of …”

According to the presenters, Iowa is the Saudi Arabia of corn-based ethanol, the Saudi Arabia of biodiesel and will soon be the Saudi Arabia of cellulose-based ethanol.

“We’re going to double the industry in the next 18 months,” said Monte Shaw, executive director of the Iowa Renewable Fuels Association, the group that organized the conference.

The celebratory mood at the event was partly because of news from Washington, D.C., where that same day the U.S. Department of Energy announced a grant of up to $80 million for the Broin Companies to build a cellulosic ethanol plant in Emmetsburg.

This method of ethanol production uses cobs, stalks and other parts of the plant that would otherwise be considered waste.

http://www.globegazette.com/articles/2007/02/28/latest_news/doc45e6363b1cd01200692955.txt

Have to follow the progess they make

Now just as long as we dont get guys over here with AK's and turban's...  ;D

I hope they'll be using a newer efficient cellulose to ethanol process like other companies are doing.

I do agree though, the number of E85 pumps in Iowa needs to be increased.  I would hope this does not mean pumps at large gasoline stations, with E85 prices matching gas prices.  E85 prices should not be tied to gas prices either.  That is something legislature should do something about, IMO.

You can't take, take ,take from an acre of farm ground without depleting organic matter and fertility. I'd really like to see grass clippings, leaves and other stuff from the cities used. Also, there is a process called plasma gasification that uses solid municipal waste that makes a synthesis gas that can then be made into ethanol. All that is left is the metal and glass. I was raised close to the Chesapeake Bay in VA and they are hauling semi loads a waste from NY and PA down and making a mountain. Seems it could be converted close to the source and save the fuel of hauling. I guess it does create jobs.

Cessna- I agree w/ you about utilizing people generated waste cellulose. We do have to be carefull about pulling too much off the soil when utilizing stovers, etc. In high clay content soils it is obvious the next year after harvesting corn silage. I wonder though if a dedicated permanent grass crop with high root mass would do holding organic matter levels up.

Very cool stuff.  I have a recipe for making alcohol from saw dust.  My plans are simple.  Get my building up as quick as I can this spring, produce Alcohol from corn.  Learn and understand this as well as I can.  Then, I intend to try to utilize a process similar to that utilized for making alcohol from saw dust with grass clippings.  Will it work ?  Probably not; but, I enjoy the learning process.  I cannot wait until it warms up.  I have been looking at my still all winter long in my garage.

Schaid

Very cool stuff.  I have a recipe for making alcohol from saw dust.  My plans are simple.  Get my building up as quick as I can this spring, produce Alcohol from corn.  Learn and understand this as well as I can.  Then, I intend to try to utilize a process similar to that utilized for making alcohol from saw dust with grass clippings.  Will it work ?  Probably not; but, I enjoy the learning process.  I cannot wait until it warms up.  I have been looking at my still all winter long in my garage.

Schaid

OK Schaid,  Wipe the druel off your mouth and quit pollishing up that still out in your garage. You'll wear off all the copper before you even get to try it. :D :D ;D

I will be waiting to see how it works for you.  Let us know all the details when you get the first batch going.