Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

Need help tracking down E85 prices in Brazil

Brazils extension is -- .com.br --

I'm trying ot find out the average spread between unleaded and Alchol fuels in Brazil..  I find incendental posts/websites claiming E85 is at times half the cost of Unleaded.. I''d like to find an official brazilian government site that tracks Brazils fuel prices..actually any site that tracks there fuel prices would be a big help.

Like to learn how they are apparently able to keep the fuelsmarkets seperate.. in the sense that just because Unleaded goes up dosent automatically means E85 has to also go up like it does here in the States..

Dan, Not sure they have E85 in Brazil. When I was down there visiting in 2001 they had 25% in all gas for regular cars and the other option was "alcool" which was 100% 190 proof. My friend was neighbors with the owners of an alcool plant and I remember going to their office with him and even though I couldn't understand they kiddingly said they drank it even if it did have a little gasoline mixed in. Saw the trucks haul sugarcane to the plant and then it got diced up into short lengths and squeezed with the juice going to the fermenters and the stalk "baggasse" burned for steam production. If you want I can see if I can e-mail him. Luis's other neighbor had 22 Honda dealerships, although some were in family members names since Honda didn't want one person to have so many. Just outside the compound they lived in, I saw people cooking in the gutter of the street.

Thanks cessna..very interesting.

Here is another Brazilian Gas sign from 2005 ..shows about a 40% difference between Alcool and Gasoline  http://shallowthgts.blogspot.com/2005/10/brazilian-alcoolgasolina-cars.html

On a seperate note ...looking at wikipedia ..look at all the water in their fuel. upto 7 % !  I though water was the enemy ..even small amounts turning into vapor could cause damage

Ethanol fuel is an alternative to gasoline. It can be combined with gasoline in any concentration up to pure ethanol (E100). Anhydrous ethanol, that is, ethanol with at most 1% water, can be blended with gasoline in varying quantities to reduce consumption of petroleum fuels and in attempts to reduce air pollution. Worldwide automotive ethanol capabilities vary widely and most spark-ignited gasoline style engines will operate well with mixtures of 10% ethanol (E10).

In Brazil, ethanol-powered and flexible-fuel vehicles are manufactured to be capable of operation by burning hydrated ethanol, an azeotrope of ethanol (around 93% v/v) and water (7%). Hydrated ethanol may also be mixed with gasoline in flexible fuel vehicles but a minimum amount of ethanol (granted by legally regulated gasoline type C) is required to avoid problems with the mixture. A few flexible-fuel systems, like Hi-Flex, used by Renault Clio and Fiat Siena, can also run with pure gasoline

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel