Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

2013 Ford Focus is E85 Ready.. $16,000

Awesome info guys!

Being always on the lookout for an FFV, hands on recommendations are very helpful.

There is something about the mid level blends of 25-40 that works extremely well in FFvs and Non FFVs alike, at least the two non FFVs I currently run. Which is precisely why I have put off getting a loan for a new car :)

But the Focus is looking pretty good it seems for E-85. I have never believed the trash talking anyway, by the people people who have used it in an FFV and claimed that it runs lousy and loses 30% mileage.

It'll definitely be my first choice down the road, assuming I can make the headroom work as well. As for the people who think that ethanol runs lousy, well. I just changed the oil in the Sebring yesterday, for the first time since mid January (over 5,000 miles ago). The guys at Valvoline had told me it's possible that the car is using a lot less oil because of E85. Every time I go in, they tell me that the oil is fine, or needs just a little bit of a top off. Take that, neighbor who thinks my engine is only going to last half as long.  ;D

I test drove a couple Foci, cranking the seat height all the way down was the first thing I did when I sat in one.

I tried to like the 6 speed powershift, I really did. But it was garbage. The cheap "selectshift" button was about as responsive and obedient as an obese sloth. It makes Mazda look like a premium brand. Also the fact that the sport aka "style package" was a $2500 option.

The downside to the Focus base engine is that no one tunes the ECU. All the tuners are jumping on the ST. Even though the factory ECU will adjust for premium or E85, it's still limited by the extremely conservative factory maps.

Edit: Scratch that last part, it appears I'm out of the loop and there's a tune out.

Today my 2012 Focus got 34 mpg. It has 10,700 miles so is getting broken in. I filled at Cleghorn IA, went to the Omaha airport and back to the same pump(7.5 gallons and 255 miles) in about 6 hrs. Half rural and half interstate with little wind.

Today my 2012 Focus got 34 mpg. It has 10,700 miles so is getting broken in. I filled at Cleghorn IA, went to the Omaha airport and back to the same pump(7.5 gallons and 255 miles) in about 6 hrs. Half rural and half interstate with little wind.

34 MPG on E85... I think that makes it the Highest MPG vehicle for E85..  The HHR is older technology..we get 24-25 Interstate .. anywhere from 26-30 on regular highway

How is City MPG?  That is really more important to most folks ..most driving is down in and around town

How is City MPG?

I don't really know. It sits in the garage most of the time since I never drive it unless I'm going to a town 25 or more miles away. The Mall at Sioux City is the closest to city it's gotten and it's right next to the interstate. :)

Dan, not really. I basically only drive 20 or more miles to another town so I'm mostly rural and interstate---very few stop lights per tank. I'm pretty much stuck on 30 mpg(readout in the dash usually says 32 to 33)doing 55 to 75 mph.