Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

2013 Ford Focus is E85 Ready.. $16,000

2013 Ford Focus runs on E85.. Ford is Actually "highlighting" that point which is great to see.

For those that we're debating between the Chevy Cruze or the Ford Focus.. that makes the decision much easier (Cruze is still not E85 ready)

Ford Focus

2.0L Ti-VCT direct-injection I-4 engine

Our 2.0L Ti-VCT I-4 engine is flex fuel capable. It can accept unleaded gasoline, E85 (85 percent ethanol and 15 percent gasoline) or any mix of the two. The engine also has direct injection, which provides a cooler, denser, more precise charge while our twin independent variable camshaft timing self-adjusts for efficient performance at low rpm and exhilarating power when you step on it. So you can go quickly. http://www.ford.com/cars/focus/trim/ssedan/

post-1-138947095464_thumb.png

Well, hide this info from the wife - she has been talking about a newer / bigger car, just hates to give up the 60+mpg in the Insight!

Scratching my head on the specs, though...appears E85 is only available on the 4-door sedan, not the 5-door hatch which appears to have the same engine?  And no E85 on the ecoboost engine - which I'm guessing may be turbocharged, though it doesn't seem to say, but the power numbers are much higher and compression is a lot lower?

http://www.ford.com/cars/focus/specifications/engine/

So clearly the thing to do would be take the E85 sedan engine, put it in the hatch for cargo space and graft on the ecoboost turbo for more power and efficiency!

At least the E85 engine does have 12:1 compression - which is starting to get into an area of decent returns from E85...though it seems through good engineering and direct injection - even at 12:1 it can run on 87 octane....could probably do 15 or 16:1 on E85.

Could have sworn the one I saw sunday was a hatch........unless it was an Ecoboost and I didn't see things right, I did only catch it out of the corner of my eye.

I had some pesos all bagged up and ready to plonk down on a Focus, but just couldn't fit in the blasted thing.  I think the engine would have been pretty sweet, too bad it's stuffed in that claustrophobic body/interior.  Really sad considering there are much bigger/more roomy cars which get the same/better mileage.

Anyway, James, if you are in KC for the week and want to burn up some gas, drop me a PM.  I'm in the area, maybe we can meet up for dinner some night.  I can bring the Acura and we will have a micro E85 car show.