Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

2013 Ford Focus is E85 Ready.. $16,000

Corey, that's interesting. I'm six feet one inch tall with long legs and weigh 175 lbs. I can put the seat back and just about can't touch the pedals. Is your head hitting the roof or what? It seems about the same as a new Toyota Camry to me. Is your Acura bigger than a Camry? If the 13 Focus is like the 12, it will get 30 to 31 mpg on E85 driving mostly highway at 60 to 72 mph.

I think a large part of it is your posture. It's a bit of a struggle to fit into my Sebring, but that's mainly because the steering wheel doesn't adjust very high. I haven't test driven a Focus yet, so it's hard to say whether or not I'd fit in it very well. Considering it gets near 30 mpg highway on E85, I would sure hope so!

Speaking of steering wheels, mine is adjusted all the way down and I never move it. Even in my John Deere tractor, the steering wheel can adjust down about to touch your knees or be about straight up when exiting. I never move it to get in or out and it is about 2/3's of the way down. I have a friend that has a like tractor and if I drive it and don't put the steering wheel straight up when leaving, he'd get very mad at me.

though at 2.0 liters, it is substantially small displacement then my 3.0 in the Fusion...  with the power that 3.0 turns out... it could stand to be "downsized" a bit anyways...

Anyways, my thought, why don't they put this 2.0 in the larger Fusion?  With the HP that it cranks out on the good stuff, I would think it would be a fine fit.

On my mixed  commute (1/3rd at freeway speeds (65-70), 1/3rd at highway speeds (55-60), and 1/3 in pretty good moving city traffic), I consistently get 22-23 mpg on summer blend in this 3.0 FFV engine.  Not the greatest efficiency, but still, with e85 at <$3.00, I'm still paying less per mile then the petrol burners are with gas at $4.00...

I can say from some experience now, that timing lights and using cruise a lot makes the world of difference. The past two numbers I've gotten, about 1/3 highway and the rest quote on quote "city", were both above 20 mpg. One was 25.67. On E85, with the A/C on. My car's mileage ratings are both below 20 on the EPA website. I often get better mileage on E85 in the Sebring than my mom does on petrol in her '12 Subaru Forester.

I've adopted some of that... using cruise to slowly get up to speed, and doing this on the down hill side...  using the cruise to slowly decelerate, and using the up hill side to do that.  I use the cruise exclusively on the 2/3rds of my trip that is highway/freeway speeds.

As for the listed mpg numbers...  Mine is listed for gas at 18/25 with 21 combined.  and e85 at 13/18 and 15 combined.

Those numbers are really pretty worthless... especially the e85 numbers.

I've adopted some of that... using cruise to slowly get up to speed, and doing this on the down hill side...  using the cruise to slowly decelerate, and using the up hill side to do that.  I use the cruise exclusively on the 2/3rds of my trip that is highway/freeway speeds.

As for the listed mpg numbers...  Mine is listed for gas at 18/25 with 21 combined.  and e85 at 13/18 and 15 combined.

Those numbers are really pretty worthless... especially the e85 numbers.

I use cruise no matter what, except when I know I won't be able to maintain a constant speed (ie rush hour traffic) or during times of inclement weather (snow).

But to your last point there, I do take the ratings with a grain of salt. Nonetheless, it helped me know what I was getting into when I bought my Sebring, and it'll sure help in the future. The numbers do give me a good feeling about my driving  ;D

I'm about 6'4" barefoot and typically wear work boots which add 1-1/2".  So most any car is challenging to some extent.  Though I've become really experienced at adding spacers to the seat tracks and steering column.  I was somewhat expecting I could do the same to the Focus, but after setting in one, it was really tight - not only in the leg and head room, but also in 'knee room' - it's a bit hard to explain and I don't see that metric listed in the typical stats, but here is a pic comparing the Focus with the Hyundai Elantra which we bought:

Focus:

forddash_zps0494a470.jpg

Elantra

width=700 height=289http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/coreyonline/elantradash_zpsb80cc871.jpg[/img]

In looking at the actual specs, the Focus gives up about 1.7" headroom, about 1.7" in leg room and probably 2.5 to 3" of 'knee room' because the Focus dash actually curves into the knee space while the Elantra is tapered out for more room.  So that is quite a crunch in the volume the occupant has available.  Then consider I spaced the Hyundai seats and steering back an additional 2.5 inches and it's a huge difference.

Elantra    Focus

Front head room      40 "    38.3”

Front shoulder room  56 "    55.6”

Front hip room          54 "    53.9”

Front  leg room        43.6 "  41.9”

On mileage, we just took the Hyundai on a 350 mile trip and recorded 39.7 mpg.  Somewhat surprising because the Elantra is a bigger car overall, though it has a curb weight of 2,660 pounds while the smaller Focus is almost 3,000. The only downside of the Elantra is no factory E85.  Though maybe a turbo and tune for it sometime soon!

New Elantra nice little car... Mine is old(er) at a 2006. Still running approximately E-30 and have pushed as high as E-50 and never got CEL. Now 110,000 miles. Mostly E-20 from a blender pump for the first 60,000 miles Since then, I've been guessing with my blending to about E-30. It has the old 2.0L, but I'd guess yours has the 1.8 which has higher compression I think. I gambled with higher blends from the get go with my hyundais and it seems to have paid off for me. Whether you do that or not I think you'll like the car :)

I'll say interesting in this post also. I just went and sat in my 2012 SEL with mechanical seats. With the seat all the way back and the seat back tilted back just a bit, I have about 5 inches between my head and the roof---no sun roof in mine. I might have exaggerated a bit when I said my feet couldn't touch the pedals but my legs aren't bent much. I am 6 ft 1 in and standing barefoot, it is 44 inches from the floor to my belly button. I wonder if your wallet is too thick---that must be the problem. :) On the mpg readout, mine doesn't change all that much. When I backed out of the garage the other day is was 31 point something and when I put it away after driving 70 miles it was maybe a tenth or two different. My temperature gauge comes up in less than a mile.